My Lawyers Letter To The Elders

by pale.emperor 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sail Away
    Sail Away
    Gayle
    The couple cases I know from long ago, that the individuals then were never announced 'on the platform' as "disfellowshipped, disassociated." Though, they were 'off the record' df'd, at least some family members and a few friends felt they could be free to talk with ex-member yet because of no announcement

I sent in a letter of resignation nearly a year ago now and threatened a lawsuit if they announced anything from the platform. They didn’t make an announcement because the local JWs still greet me in public. I walked away just over 5 years ago, and the elders know why.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I'm glad to hear that there are loving parents who really are protecting their children from those inappropriate people.

• undercover
    undercover
    I think some of you are way overreacting to that picture. Apparently you never read comic books as a kid or watched any action or sci-fi movies. I can assure you I was exposed to the Paradise book, the Live Forever book, etc. and somehow I survived. Just saying...

On one hand, I agree. The illustration in and of itself isn't any worse (or as bad) as some comic books, sci-fi movies, etc.

But - kids know that comic books and sci-fi movies are make believe. It's not real, it's entertainment, escapism, even if they don't know the terms or words to describe it.

When you sit in a KH and study this material, or sit in your family study and have it beat into your head that if don't obey Jehovah, this is going to happen to you, then this isn't entertainment of a violent nature, it's, at best, indoctrination, or at worst, mental abuse. If these illustrations work on (simple minded) adults, then imagine how it can affect younger, undeveloped, immature minds.

• Gulf Coaster
    Gulf Coaster

My mother had shunned me for several years after I left her cult but after I had kids, she suddenly got all friendly and wanted to start up contact again, especially with her two grandkids. We told her we didn't want her talking about her religion to the kids. She went behind our backs when babysitting them one day, showing them such illustrations. My son was about 6 and it didn't seem to bother him. My daughter was about 4 and it affected her badly, frightening her to the point where she fretted about us dying in such a horrific manner, breaking into tears at times. She also started wetting her bed and having nightmares, it was so stressful for her.

So you can't say it's no big deal, that it's just like the comics or movies. All kids are different, some can't process such heavy info, some are more sensitive than others. My daughter is such a sensitive little soul, always has been, and is today at age 28. JWs use them to brainwash kids and frighten them into obeying the cult. It's sick.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Very true, Gulf Coaster! My sister & I are 'two different souls'... The pictures in the old books were interesting to me... I was a bit disconnected to them... She, on the other hand, was terrified by them. It has tortured her all of her life.

We have been around this religion for over 50 years. It still affects her, tho we both have left the religion!?! She is slowly trying to erase the decades of indoctrination and fear.

The WT has this down to a science, they realize how it effects people, they get letters, complaints, they read suicide letters, etc... so they 'know.' They are not innocent indoctrinators, they have blood on their hands.

hugs to all,

Cha Ching

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Sadly though, I have seen official legal threats blatantly ignored by elders ....

In my experience (in the US), they ignore those that they see as no legal threat as it is expensive to pursue legal action here. And the WT Service Dept would ask that very question, Is this brother financially capable of carrying out his threat to pursue legal action? DOC

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I think some of you are way overreacting to that picture. Apparently you never read comic books as a kid or watched any action or sci-fi movies. I can assure you I was exposed to the Paradise book, the Live Forever book, etc. and somehow I survived. Just saying

Yeah, but my daughter is 2.

She reads three little pigs, goldilocks and the three bears etc and then she's shown this???

Using the same argument, why dont JW kids play Grand Theft Auto or Street Fighter then?

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

Pale.emperor,

Never a JW but I agree with you those pictures along with some of the Caleb and Sofia cartoons and most definitely this years videos for the RC are NOT age appropriate.

I wish you the best of luck sheltering your daughter from all of this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit