There seems to be many jw's marrying outside of org recently.

by atomant 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

neverknew. I agree. The mind control is just that, mind control. Usually, they DON"T know much of what they are saying is actually controlled, regurgitated, cult-speak, thought. They are conditioned, and that is not their "fault" It is the fault of a cult.I also was gobsmacked. Like a brick hitting me in the head. I was in shock. This was not the an I thought I married. What happened? Yet I try, and I try HARD to figure out how to make this work out, but this may be a bigger problem than I can live with. It likely is. Our daughter is then the collateral damage through no fault of her own. It will destroy her childhood if our marriage breaks up, or if the household continues to be under so much stress.

This is why the whole thing is so dangerous. We believe them because THEY believe the superficial "love bombing" speak, half truths, or full-out lies, too. Or they don't understand what is being said so they just put it off to not being spiritually strong enough yet. We as non jws are only beginning to find reality of this cult. Media barely covers it. So many people just don't know the depth of the control in order to make a lifetime decision of marriage. Thankfully, youtube, this site, jwfacts, and others are out there for those who are now just trying to research. As long as they do not go by the organizational rule not to look at any website material outside the official website then they have a chance at finding out reality.

It is insidious and that is why steve2's comment on this topic, and the people laughing at the marriage of JWs marrying non JWs is so incredibly off putting to me.

It is tragic, destroys lives, destroys families, hurtful, and even mean to suggest it is a good thing ( The only exception, and I believe they are rare, is unless the JW is a confirmed physically, and mentally out and continue to prove to remain as such , since no one can ever probably ever be fully mentally out.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I feel one point that is being overlooked is that born-ins are leaving in droves supposedly 67% (Pew survey) stop identifying with the religion. The Mormons are now up to 35%. These folks are not so devoted to the religion as their parents may have been. The JW divorce rate is at 11% which is the same as the Catholic and Protestant churches. So there is a lot of churning going on.

People also look at educational issues differently, have access to the internet and transportation. Women want careers these days just as men do.

Mate hunting in the world is either going to be a bit of experiencing a little naughty contact or a declaration that they have no intention of remaining a JW.

The congregation on the other hand offers very little. And what is offered are most usually under educated and under employed people.

Settling for a person is never going to achieve a long lasting relationship.

I would be very surprised if the religion doesn't come up in some manner or form with a couple dating and once that genie pops out of the bottle a non believer needs to do their due diligence and find out what it means to be a practicing JW or even former JW and have that discussion.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    Love is blind but is it also agnostic.......
  • atomant
    atomant
    Some interesting points have been raised.Unfortunately my sister does suffer from a duel personality and breaks out into a rage for no real obvious reason.Her new husband would not have been aware of this at the time they got married.So its a time bomb situation.Whether he can handle it when it happens l dont know.l have only met the man a few times and he seems ok.The feed back lm getting through my mother a non jw is that he can see how the religion has adversely affected my family and torn it apart.The shunning thing.All l can say is lm glad l never got baptized.lf l thought it was the truth l would have been baptized over 30 years ago but my heart and mind was telling me its not the truth dont do it.
  • Richard_I
    Richard_I
    IMO it's been like this for the last 20+ years. Even as a teenager in the 2000s during conventions I can remember looking from the stands down to the ice level of the arena and seeing so many hot young girls with their babies/young kids walking around and no sight of a husband, not even sitting beside a man but instead sitting with their parents. I remember even my parents commenting on this. I sit as high up as I can now and sleep during the conventions but I assume it's still the same.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Richard_I...

I'd never thought of it that way, but yeah...

...if you were a (somewhat unscrupulous) "worldy" guy in his early 20s (and could stomach the rhetoric from the platform) you'd be strongly inclined to view JW assemblies as potential "meat markets"...

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane
    It's their ticket off the Crazy train.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit