How old were you when you left the borg?

by Iamallcool 29 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I really believe the internet is the reason so many are able to become awakened and move on so much earlier. When many of us who did not awaken until 40 or 50 or 60 years of age, it was because finding information about TTATT was very very difficult. It meant finding books in a brick and mortar library. It meant meeting face to face with "apostates" (known away back as the "evil slave class"). We were AFRAID of those dissenters. They were demonized by the WTS (just as apostates still are today).

And if you left, you were really alone. No just how someone is alone today -- losing (conditional) friends and likely even some family, but also being able to "connect" with anyone else. No JWN. No Reddit. No Facebook groups. No Tahoe Apostafest. (Thanks! Flipper)

• titch
    titch

I was 34. Best Regards...

Titch

• Dunedain
    Dunedain

I was born in, baptized at 13, df'd by 16. Then reinstated at 17, and out again, for good at 20. That was 25 years ago.

Just realized now, that i have been "out" more than i was "in", even being a "born in". Thats AWESOME!

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Had doubts, and was incredibly unhappy for years. I lurked here for about 18 months and officially joined 7 years ago just as I was physically walking out the door. I was 39.

I agree, with the comment, that so many of us have left at middle age or older is because of the availability of information. In my case I would probably still be in the windowless walls of the the watchtower if it wasn’t for the net. My biggest regret was staying for as long as I did.

• HappyGal
    HappyGal

Mom starting studying when I was 5. I was baptized at 17 and left at 27-28. Had the internet been available back then I'd have left sooner. Best decision ever.

When I would see the JWs standing by the carts it confirms my decision. That could have been me!

• BlackPuddingEater
    BlackPuddingEater

Born in, left when I was 16 moved out of the family home at 17. Achieving my life goal at such a young age I've been bored the 36 years since. With the prospect of a further 2 to however many years of celibacy and (sorry sisters) the lacklustre reward at the end I gave my teenage hormones the casting vote.

• fulano
    fulano

14/40

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

Raised in from age 4 (1970). Baptized 1983 (16). Elder 2002. MTS 2002. Deleted as elder Christmas 2006 (40), moved congos immediately to fade, last meeting August 2007. Never set foot in there again. Now age 53.

Snakes

• benny
    benny

Baptised at 22 and left. wrote my letter at 62 last December. 40 years of mind control and emotional and mental abuse and as a ministerial servant and elder which were the worst parts. I feel like a new person to put it lightly.😊

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Parents became JWs when I was 8 and I disassociated when I was 38.

My wife was born in and disassociated with me at 35.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit