Book of life in pencil

by road to nowhere 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

We looked at this last Sunday. The concept of a book is only a metaphor for God’s memory, since he clearly does not need to write things down . That scriptural illustration is fine as far as it goes but problems arise once they start adding things and making it fit their theology.

The article says that the anointed are in the book…. Ok . Then it says that the great crowd of other sheep are also in , but the goats are not… Now correct me if I missed something but last I heard , the separation of sheep and goats is a future event . No decision has yet been made . So how can he have the names already ?

Of the resurrected, the “righteous “ are in . That’s o k but no one knows who they are. The “unrighteous” are not in , so how can they be resurrected if they are not in God’s memory?

If I took it seriously,, I would be confused……..

how

• TD
    TD

Where is the scripture about using pencil?

I don't know if this is what you're thinking of, but there is a JW illustration along those lines. (i.e. By being faithful, your name is "penciled" in today.)

Since JW's don't believe the "book of life" is actually opened until the end of the 1000 years, it's not entirely in line with what they themselves teach.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

The pencil illustration is anachronistic and comes across as stupid, but they've come up with worse.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The concept of scrolls/books being opened to reveal God's judgement is a recurring motif. God was the greater record keeper/accountant.

2 Esdras 6:20 When the seal is placed upon the age that is about to pass away, then I will show these signs: the books shall be opened before the face of the firmament, and all shall see my judgment[a] together.

Dan 7:10 A river of fire was flowing,

coming out from before him.
    Thousands upon thousands attended him;
    ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him.
    The court was seated,
    and the books were opened.

2 Baruch 24 1 'For behold! the days come and the books shall be opened in which are written the sins of all those who have sinned, and again also the treasuries in which the righteousness of all those who have been righteous in creation is gathered.

Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.

This low Christological notion of scorekeeping appeals to the human sense of just deserts. It is in tension with the high Christological concept of true forgiveness and free gifts.

But it seems , He's making a list and checking it twice. He's gonna find out who's naught or nice.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Where is the scripture about using pencil?

I have it on good authority that it was found during TOMO III last physical by his proctologist.

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

It wasn't written in pencil, it was written with crayons - something the JW Writing Committee uses!

(when they're not playing with their Kevin McFree Bumper Lego Set.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

2B or not 2B?

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

you just have to watch Elaine's recent rebuttal on JW Escape. She just hits the ball out of the park on this one.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Just to add that Elaine does an outstanding job at relating the fact that the Borg knows that long-time dubbies have too much invested to come to the realization they've been ''conned'' to give up now. They use a scripture in attempt to sell such 'nonsense'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit