Interesting statement regarding "this generation"

by InChristAlone 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom
    It is a loadabollocks, but it's an amusing loadabollocks. Back in the day we used to say that we didn't interpet the bible, we just accepted it as it is. I'm waiting for the next JW I meet to come out with something like that just so I can ask them what's their take on Matt24:34?
  • Vidqun
    Vidqun

Here's a very interesting Dictionary definition of Greek genea (= generation). It makes sense because the verb "generate" is derived from the Latin genero, generatum, to beget (Webster). [Greek γεννάω: to beget.] Wonder how the Witnesses will explain this?

11.4 γενεάa, ᾶς feminine: people living at the same time and belonging to the same reproductive age-class—‘those of the same time, those of the same generation.’ ἐκζητηθήσεται ἀπὸ τῆς γενεᾶς ταύτης ‘the people of this generation will be punished’ Lk 11:51.

The expression ‘the people of this generation’ may also be expressed as ‘the people living now’ or ‘the people of this time.’ Successive generations may be spoken of as ‘groups of people who live one after the other’ or ‘successions of parents and children.’[1]

[1] Louw, J. P., & Nida, E. A. (1996). Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament: based on semantic domains (electronic ed. of the 2nd edition., Vol. 1, p. 119). New York: United Bible Societies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit