SuperBowl 54: US Sports vs UK Sports

by Simon 34 Replies latest social physical

• Simon
    Simon

So a few things ...

Apparently it's SuperBowl 54, and also the centennial of the sport. Erm ... I'm not a mathematician, but aren't there 46 SuperBowls missing?

Americans claim that UK sport ("soccer", aka real football) is too low scoring. What they forget is that if you adjust for total game duration, US football is very low scoring. It's like having 8 FA cups back-to-back.

I don't understand the tradition of having someone scream-to-death the national anthem before every game. There are decent singers, why do they have to go so overboard trying to be "impressive"? I thought it was funny when Roseanne did it that time, why do they all keep copying her?!

Shakira shaking her butt and J-lo pole dancing is acceptable. No complaints there. Bottom wiggly-jiggly will be the highlight of the evening, alongside the "Groundhog Day" remake ad.

We don't get the adverts in Canada and have to watch them later on YouTube, but isn't there a problem when the intermission is the highlight?

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I didn't like the performance for the half time show. Not that I mind the concept of pole dancing and not wearing much, its just that I didn't feel like the overall performance was well choreographed.

In that style, I prefered Katy Perry. That being said, my favorite of all time: Prince! Sure, I liked Micheal Jackson, but he was lip syncing.

• Simon
    Simon

I think the best recent one was Bruno Mars, but really the whole format is ridiculous and too rushed to put on a show of the size they feel they need to and it's been politicized to high-heaven, so unless next-year is a black transgender disabled midget, it's going to be discriminatory.

• Simon
    Simon

Holy cow, it's still going on. Even beer doesn't really help.

Feels like I could have binge-watched an entire Netflix series in this time, or something more enjoyable - like completing my tax returns.

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

It's the NFL's 100th year, not the Super Bowl's. The Super Bowl started being played when the American Football League and the National Football League merged during the 1960's.

The half-time show was okay. As mentioned above, Prince put on a hella show in 2007...in Miami...in a pouring rain.

Whitney Houston did a nice version of the National Anthem. She sang it straight for the most part. I do wish more singers would just sing the song and not improvise. Unless you are Marvin Gaye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRvVzaQ6i8A

• Simon
    Simon

KFC might yet win it ...

• Simon
    Simon

... and they just scored !

• Simon
    Simon

or did they? ... the curse of non-conclusive video replay, currently ruining real football as well.

• Simon
    Simon

It stands! KFC are ahead 24 to 20. Colonel Sanders men might just win their first SuperBowl!

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha
    Unless you are Marvin Gaye.

Best rendition of the anthem... all time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit