Plagiarized song?

by cookiemaster 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cookiemaster
    cookiemaster

Hey guys,

So, I went to the hall today with my parents (they needed a ride) and there was this song that I wasn't familiar with. Must be a new song or I might be simply ignorant of JW songs (I hate them). To my surprise I actually liked this song. About the only JW song I've ever liked ever. The song in question is called Light in a Darkened World. I think it was number 77. The thing is that I'm pretty certain I've heard it somewhere else, maybe in a fantasy movie or game. For some reason, big chunks of it seem plagiarized to me. It's not the usual JW song and seems very cinematic. What do you guys think?

Here's a link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIDv7MroYeM

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

It's possible. One of the other songs from the latest songbook has been widely recognized to contain similar rifts to the score from Jurassic Park.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I made my comments here:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/6006083388702720/beautiful-new-kingdom-song

Noticeable in the song is complete lack of any reference to: Jehovah, God, Jesus, Bible, anointed, Holy Spirit, Armageddon, or any other specifically JW, or even biblical terminology. The closest is the single word “pray”. It could be an anthem for various religious or even secular movements for positive change.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Another one I noticed was song 59 in the new book. It is nearly a word for word copy of an older spiritual written on February 4, l874 by Frances Ridley Havergal. The music is different but that is really the only material change.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Back in 1984, they had song 42 in their new abomination of a songbook. This was virtually identical to the 1982 hit Chariots of Fire by Vangelis. The original was instrumental, and the washtowel took the exact melody (ever so slightly modified) and ruined it with their own lyrics. Why Vangelis didn't sue the washtowel for that one, I don't know.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

I've heard that before about song 42 and I honestly don't get it. Just a little bit of the pacing matches up, but it's otherwise couldn't be more different, both in tone and where it ends up going.

• Betheliesalot
    Betheliesalot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkJNaTQgjKM

I think the Mormoms have the wash tower beat as far as production and quality is concerned. Their music is so appealing and inspirational, I for a second thought about...no, its just a song..

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Cookiemaster I like that song too, it could come from a movie blockbuster.

I notice the lyrics appear to talk about praying for the dead at 1.54 which I was taught not to do:

" those who sleep, need awakening,

as the time ebbs away,

We give hope and encouragement,

For their future we'll pray"

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I’ve been attending the Catholic Church. I almost fell over at mass a few weeks back when they played a hyme that was almost identical in tune to a kingdom song. I knew the tune perfectly. For the life of me I can’t remember what it was though. Lol. May be someone can help me out. Yup they been riding the scarlet coloured beast all right.

• cookiemaster
    cookiemaster

I resonate with much of what you guys have said here. It does sound like a song you'd hear in some blockbuster movie. I honestly thought it was a rip-off from the soundtrack of the The Hobbit or of the artist on YouTube Brunuville, if you're familiar with the work. Anyway, I found it to be very atypical for a JW song and as Slimboyfat mentioned, it is highly peculiar how this song does not contain any reference to Jehovah, Jesus, obedience, and other JW buzzwords. It's very unusual and devoid of context you really could think it's not a religious song at all. That's why it grabbed my attention.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit