New rules for dress & greeting disfellowshipped: It's even worse!

by neat blue dog 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• St George of England
    St George of England
    I don’t think “slacks” is a word in the UK.

The GB forget there is a world outside of the US. As SBF said we don't use "slacks", we use the the word "trousers" here, both for men and women. As for "pants", I am currently wearing some very racy ones my wife bought me recently, but UNDER my trousers I hasten to add!

George

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Why would people not want to dress up? What every happened to respect?

There does not need to be a biblical basis for dressing up.

Respect goes beyond the Bible.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Rat

Goodwill polyester suits and ties are not dressed up. They are joke among the world.

The standard should be business attire

• Elena
    Elena

This years convention will be such a change from last year. Beards and jumpers and that’s just the elders.

then all the sister in trousers or slacks (does anyone outside the GB know what slacks are?) I didn’t know what slacks are and I’m a woman who has an interest in fashion.

The GB are in their own little bubble

what about a brother who wears a sweater to the meeting and then gets asked to volunteer to do a part? Or a sister not wearing a skirt but she is wearing slacks?

I wonder if KHalls can have a few spares out back

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Howzabout a spare tie and jacket and a velcro looong wrap skirt in the back room. Just in case.

Locally the last 3 elders with any sense died so theclowns run the show now.

• TxNVSue2023
    TxNVSue2023

I'm American. Here we call them pants or slacks ( pretty much the same meaning of those two words, except to say slacks maybe nicer than pants and less casual). We don't really use the word trousers much at all.

So pants are more casual like kakis or black work pants. Slacks are more formal and more like business attire.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Howzabout a spare tie and jacket and a velcro looong wrap skirt in the back room. Just in case.

I remember when a few congregations in my area had spare WHITE SHIRTS ready in case a visiting speaker turned up with a non-approved coloured shirt. I would have told them what to do with their second hand shirt!

George

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    what about a brother who wears a sweater to the meeting and then gets asked to volunteer to do a part

Exactly. This 'relaxing' of the rules is really making things more rule-focused & will lead to issues like this as long as there is that double standard for the stage.

• Scully
    Scully

Ozzie!!!

How are you??

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It won't do a bit of good if you have hounders in the congregation that insist on wearing the classic suit, especially if they are picky about the color of your shirt or where you take it to be cleaned. And what if you have a small group that claims to be "stumbled" by someone wearing a nice Oxford shirt and matching pants (not suit clothes) with no tie, or a "sister" wearing nice business quality slacks in field circus or at a boasting session? They report being "stumbled" to the hounders, and before long you have that talk about not "stumbling" others. Even though the washtowel itself allows these items to be worn, you don't actually have the right if just one person is "stumbled".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit