New rules for dress & greeting disfellowshipped: It's even worse!

by neat blue dog 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

I know they're panicking and trying to gain favor with governments, former members, prospective converts & those who are teetering, all for financial worries. Still, the latest update in some ways made things WORSE, and if there's any JWs watching it who are beginning to wake up it should be very disturbing.

Starting with dress codes: They say that suits, ties & skirts are no longer required, but in so doing they admit that they were required, something not often appearing as an explicit command in print. (Similar to how Lett referred to the "policy on beards" in his video, even though this direct policy wasn't made available to rank and file.) He then reads a looooong string of words about when they would still be required (basically any part on stage). Keeping up with this word salad immediately comes off as Pharisaical. In addition, he offers no attempt at scriptural justification for this. The GB usually always at least pretends to have a biblical reason, even if it means putting a vaguely relevant unquoted scripture in parentheses nearby. But no such illusion in this case. 'The GB has decided.....", & that's why.

With regards to skirts, ties & jackets it was also repeated that they would still be required if the local custom, but that poses a problem. That's the same circular reasoning they used to keep beards banned! It was the local custom among JWs, but basically no one else, so it was self-perpetuating until they made an explicit decree. You'd be hard pressed to find an area where the general population believes that skirts, ties & jackets are required, especially if on a stage. Yet they continue to use that faulty reasoning. To top it off, some may have missed this but they actually added a new rule at the end! He said for visiting Bethel, 'it would be appropriate for brothers to wear a jacket and tie'. Jackets were shown in the infamous pamphlet they made years ago about dress at Bethel, but they weren't shown on everyone or explicitly mentioned. So now men have to sweat it out on a long day of touring and wear a jacket to Bethel.

Another change was allowing JWs to greet disfellowshipped ones who attended meetings (although 'known apostates' are not included). They even showed a video example of how to do so (which is an incredibly creepy & robotic concept). The pharisaical rules come into play yet again when he qualifies this by saying "extended conversation" still isn't allowed. So until they send out a secret letter with bullet points, it's up to elders to debate conversation fractions & judge any conversations they observe based on word counts or seconds spent. You know they'll do it!

But the big problem was how he said this was now allowed: "The Governing Body has decided that publishers can use their Bible-trained conscience". - WOW. - First let me point out that this isn't really true, and as noted there are multiple rules at play. But still, this sentence should give any JW pause if they have any thinking ability left. Since when is it appropriate for men to allow you to use your own conscience? I don't think they've worded it this explicitly before, and despite the desperate illusion of more freedom they are more and more putting themselves in the place of God.

• Zilgee
    Zilgee

Now elders will counsel if you talk lil more to df person?

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Yup. They'll also be looking up definitions of 'slacks'. I'm wondering if any BoE's are really gonna come out and say "suits, ties & skirts are the local custom here, so the new allowances don't apply". I imagine even the few hardliners wouldn't have the nerve.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

To add:

There's no doubt gonna be widespread confusion in the coming weeks on whether ties & jackets are required for microphone & stage duties, as this wasn't clearly explained.

• Scully
    Scully

I notice with a huge eyeroll, that nothing was said about Sisters™ being allowed to wear pant suits or slacks to the KH or other JW functions.

Just saying.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    nothing was said about Sisters™ being allowed to wear pant suits or slacks to the KH or other JW functions

Pants are a go on everything except giving a part on stage.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don’t think “slacks” is a word in the UK. From doing a google image search I guess what this means is sisters are now allowed to wear trousers as long as they are smart trousers?

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Neat. I bet the local pharusees custom will be suits ties and skirts

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I notice with a huge eyeroll, that nothing was said about Sisters™ being allowed to wear pant suits or slacks to the KH or other JW functions.
    Just saying.

Hi, Kim ! 👋

Ozzie ( of the downunder class)

• Elena
    Elena

Can brothers wear jumpers? Or any smart tops

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit