Best Life Gifts - New Bethel Giftshop

by jamesmarsh 32 Replies latest jw friends

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Great way to advertise this parasitical JW business.

• JeffT
    JeffT

There are ways to do hostile takeovers over private business, but they aren't called hostile takeovers. If somebody loaned the previous owners money, and they used the business as collateral, they could have lost it through bankruptcy or foreclosure. That would still count as "more to the story" in my book.

I'm pretty sure the WTBS could collect licensing fees on its logo without jeopardizing their tax free status. It's possible they leaned on the owners and forced a sale to the new owners. In fact, I suspect they are called fees or royalties or something from all of these businesses selling JW related stuff. If they aren't, they're even stupider than we think.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    I'm pretty sure the WTBS could collect licensing fees on its logo without jeopardizing their tax free status.

Uhmmm.... why do you think that?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    I'm pretty sure the WTBS could collect licensing fees on its logo without jeopardizing their tax free status.

Uhmmm.... why do you think that?

haha! That's easy...under the table deal - pay us "donations" (a percentage of your take - wink wink) or you will be "going against Jehobah".

Easy peasy - donate or get disfellowshipped - plenty of loyal JWs to take your place at the store

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Lol well yes but i allowed for “off the books” deals (not saying i buy into that just hedging my bets on it, slim style). A licensing fee isnt off the books

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Morph: A licensing fee isnt off the books

Of course.

But you are dealing with the WT

"Licensing fee" could very well mean "donation". You know... "voluntary" (wink wink)

Just give it a label and let er fly

*by the way...it is perfectly acceptable for charities to collect royalties and licensing fees

http://www.thenonprofittimes.com/news-articles/there-is-more-to-licensing-than-slapping-on-a-logo/

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

If that is the case i stand very humbly corrected!

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

It is the case, Morph.

In fact, nonprofits are encouraged to find creative ways to raise money and licensing deals are certainly on the drawing board

The nonprofit industry has expanded lots in the past couple decades. Huh. You can even do university classes and get a degree in nonprofit management now, or so I am told. I haven't dug into it it much. I had my fill of the nonprofit sector a few years back.

• Listener
    Listener

They say that they were partners with Minstry Ideaz but also the managers (of the shop). Partnerships require a lot of trust and many people have been screwed over by operating under a partnership.

I might be wrong but when you look at the goods in the shop, they don't seem to be the same sort of things that are sold on the Ministry Ideaz' website. They look more upmarket and of good quality.

Who knows, the current owners may have bypassed purchasing from Ministry Ideaz and this stuffed them around. Ministry Ideaz may have counted on making a profit from selling their own merchandise but the managers/partners had their own idea of what should be sold, possibly to make it more appealable to the general public. Something like that would easily cause a rift between partners who simply have a different idea about how the business should be run.

One person in the partnership thinks that their ideas are better than the others and it's a battle as to who gets their way. Someone loses for one reason or another and they feel sour about it.

If you have a partnership you have to make the contract watertight and even then there are many loopholes. Not only do you have to worry about and work at the business being a success, you've got other partners to appease as well.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I'm an accountant. A non profit can make money, it just has to pay the tax on income generating activities not related to its primary purpose.

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/unrelated-business-income-tax

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit