Things you can not say in "field service" anymore.

by greenhornet 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Journeyman
    Journeyman
    He replied, "I thought maybe you died and somebody nice moved in."

LOL! That's hilarious, although not of course in the "spirit" of the Christian ministry. But it's true that, whatever you might think of going door-to-door now, there really were some horrible people out there, sometimes. Still are of course, that's just life. Some people are always going to be nasty, or at least easily angered and "triggered", as they call it today.

On the subject of callous remarks by Witnesses, I was never comfortable hearing comments about "taking their home" or "they're having their reward in full" or things like that. Completely goes against the numerous Biblical instructions about not "coveting" your neighbours' property, not calling down evil on your enemies but praying for them, not wanting to acquire material things but being content to survive Armageddon with your life, and so on. Even the GB has said that Witnesses are supposed to view others as "potential brothers and sisters", so trash talking like that is hardly showing that kind of spirit.

To be fair, the society - during the 80s+ at least, when I was involved with them - didn't encourage that, except in one way, which I did used to find unchristian, which was the frequency of Watchtower articles that used to be all about how terrible "worldly" people and organisations were, but how "righteous" 'God's people' were when it came to things like marriage, honest at work, religious observance, etc. That must have fed the egos of so many in the congregations, especially those elders (and elderettes) and "full-time servants" who already think they're something special.

Fortunately, the org has toned that right down in recent years, but there was a period of a couple of decades where there were often study articles which were frankly boasting about JWs being so much better than anyone else. They've probably had to stop being so arrogant about JWs now they've finally realised how many problems there are in congregations: they have many more articles about how to cope with problems in marriages, families, how to resolve disputes with brothers, etc, these days, so I reckon the GB have had to wake up a bit more to reality!

• blondie
    blondie

Or as my husband says, "field circus."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit