When 2 JWs have the same call...

by schnell 19 Replies latest jw friends

• schnell
    schnell

As I was driving past a certain gas station today, I recalled that the family who own it are called on by a friend of mine, and in a territory where it's hard to find interest. It reminded me of an incident months back when this friend, Brother D, discovered that another friend, Brother B, was calling on that family too. Hey, gotta make your time.

Those two went at it. It blew up in that little minivan out in service. It is not the first time I've seen a conflict over a call, but I'd never seen tempers flare over it. The fact of the matter is, these were two creatures fighting over a precious resource, brotherly love or not.

Any other experiences like this?

• Londo111
    Londo111

Happen to me too. Nobody blew up about it...we were doing RVs in the car group and the other couple ended up calling on the same house I was going to. I ceded it to them.

People take magazines mostly to end the encounter...most JWs realize this, but are then obligated to make them a return visit. Some people just take the magazines to be nice and support the apparently friendly JWs who sometimes come to their door.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Working in a multi congregation in the city had its fair amounts of trouble. People would work the other congregations territory because it was close and the bros would get all up in arms about it. It was all about starting their time. I'd like to think that if they took the time factor out, people would be more sincere about the work. It would be much more about the people and less about how much time they can waste at a door or how quickly they can start their time.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

With a large geographical area and a small population territory the competition over RV's was fierce and call poaching was common. The cong had three middle aged non- working, no-kid lady pioneers who felt all interest belonged to them by default because of their pioneer status. Plus the COBE's wife who thought the same thing.

If a householder told them another witness called they would interogate to find out gender, age, what they looked like, how often they called how long etc and then walk up to that piblisher at the next meeting and say something like

"You call on so and so?"

"Why, yes I have been calli....."

"Well you can stop because that's my call." Marches off to continue conversation with the groupies who have been watching the exchange from the other side of the hall.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Or when they introduce someone as "My Study"...it just sounds so possessive and odd!

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Having calls and studies provides cred in the brownie points currency of Witnessworld.

• schnell
    schnell
    "Well you can stop because that's my call."

Damn. Does she have her coveted dream house picked out for the new system too, or is she heaven bound?

No, seriously, I've had dubs point at a nice big house and say out loud that it'll be theirs in the new system. By default, I don't think they have a clue.

• schnell
    schnell
    I'd like to think that if they took the time factor out, people would be more sincere about the work. It would be much more about the people and less about how much time they can waste at a door or how quickly they can start their time.

I agree. Requiring dubs to report time and splitting up territories in populated areas creates resources and competition. They go beyond the things written by mandating monthly reports like this, and William J. Schnell was not too pleased about it as he wrote in 30 Years a Watchtower Slave.

• Divergent
    Divergent

A sister actually STOPPED talking to my mum when my mum started studying with a lady who was originally studying with her. It was actually the lady's choice to switch study conductors, but nooo. . . that sister could not accept it!

Oh yeah, and she stopped talking to her ex-study too. Even though that study is now a sister!

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I grew up arguing with my so-called friend John Albert over pretty much everything while preaching. That changed as we grew up because I stopped caring about anything JW. So yes, I have seen/experience tempers flaring over stupid nonsense around JW activities.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit