This Forum. Has it changed? For the better or for the worse? Or not a at all?

by ThomasCovenant 35 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

It’s called the BS meter. And it registers loud and clear with a few people here.

I like that FACTS are what we want to deal with. I really don’t put too much stock in feelings. Prosecutors like Mueller must deal with facts . It doesn’t matter if he doesn’t like the people he’s investigating. It’s all about dealing with the facts.

I think this site is a great site. Nothing is perfect but it’s entertaining, informative and enjoyable to me!

• jp1692
    jp1692

Xanthippe: The intelligent, thoughtful, compassionate people are still around and they post occasionally but they seem to have retreated in the face of all the anger around. I miss them.

My sentiments exactly!

• cofty
    cofty

I do think there is a problem with tribalism on both ends of the spectrum.

There is lack of willingness on the part of some to genuinely try to understand people who they view as being on 'the other team'. It is by no means unique to this forum.

• I believe in overlapping
    I believe in overlapping

I think this site is a great site. Nothing is perfect but it’s entertaining, informative and enjoyable to me!

That's why I come here from time to time, to listen to you older guys and learn a few things. I don't like the religious doctrine stuff, I like everything else because it helps me see how the world works. I also get to see how reason and logic wins every time and how to detect bullshit-(fake news).

• Sail Away
    Sail Away
    The intelligent, thoughtful, compassionate people are still around and they post occasionally but they seem to have retreated in the face of all the anger around. I miss them.

^^This^^

• steve2
    steve2

In some ways, the forum has improved. There used to be posters on each side of the political and religious spectrum who would use this forum to dump truck loads of pre-posted material and expect other posters to engage with it. I remember a time when specific posters were known for starting controversial topics and seeming to stand back whilst other posters reacted to the topics not bothering to clarify or acknowledge points. That got very tiresome.

On the plus side, I have found myself reading someone's post and initially not really taking it in because it conflicts with my own views - but then endeavouring just to focus on their arguments which have led me to modify my views. And even on occasions when I haven't modified my views, I've appreciated the level of good, critical thinking on the posts.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I don't really care which side you lean. I have comments of my own. We all like to think our reasoning is better than the next person.

With that said, this place used to feel like a place of solace and rest for me. Lately I just lurk and when I do, I usually end up closing the window in regret. Too many subjects outside of the main theme. Just in case you need a reminder, we are trying to help people get out of a cult, not jump them from a religious one to a political one.

• minimus
    minimus

Since JWs never could candidly talk about politics. It’s nice that exjws can talk about subjects we never could like politics, sex and religion.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I miss PunkofNice Very much. Flipper doesn’t seem to be around so much, although he always lets us know about the Apostafest!

Poor Viene too will be dearly missed. A terrible shock. The demographic on this site means that we do loose many beloved contributors to death and illness. I miss Outlaw’s funny posts. Mouthy, of course, too. There are many more I have not mentioned, all dearly missed.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

This is a healthy discussion guys. It's important to check in from time to time, for 'apostates' or 'opposers' like us presentation is even more crucial, since they claim we're just angry, resentful, or vain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit