Raining before the Flood?

by GrownMidget 63 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GrownMidget
    GrownMidget
    I remember at my teen years when I was studying with a brother that he said to me that there was no rain before the flood. Instead there was this mist that you have. If you go outside at 6 am, you will most likely see it. Never before or after this have I heard something like this. Checking Google seems to show that some other groups also claim such a thing happening.

Is this official teaching by the Watchtower or where does it come from? If it is official, does it have any scientific or any other kind of proof behind it?
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    official teaching. The bible says something about a dew comming down daily and the fundamentalists religions , witnesses included, take that to mean it never rained before the flood.
  • sir82
    sir82

Yes it is official JW doctrine. It's based on Genesis 2:6:

But a mist would go up from the earth, and it watered the entire surface of the ground.

JWs interpret that "mist" as being the only form of precipitation from the creation of Adam to the flood, a period of over 1600 years.

In the pantheon of wackadoodle JW beliefs, this one is pretty squarely in the middle of the pack.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes, "it never rained before the flood..."

Haha.... no rain? a 'worldwide' flood?

Yet another crazy teaching we all accepted...until we actually THOUGHT about how silly that statement is....

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I was taught the same thing in the 60's. It was part of a pseudo science theory of a 1800's crackpot named Isaac Vail.

I haven't heard it mentioned for years, so I don't know if is still taught or not.

• GrownMidget
    GrownMidget
    I'm telling you, that one single time was the only time I ever heard such a thing and it was only for a brief moment discussion about the subject. After that I never heard it again anywhere, no publications, nobody talking about it and no mention of it at the meetings. Made me wonder that what's going on...
  • FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack
    I wasn't there, but I am pretty sure it rained a couple of times on the earth before 2370 BC.
  • prologos
    prologos
    but the deluge made up for it: 2oo meters of rain a day, 10 meters 33 feet an hour everywhere. that is why they study this tidbit in the "Imitation Faith" book this week at the hall, makes you weak.
  • sir82
    sir82

2oo meters of rain a day, 10 meters 33 feet an hour everywhere. that is why they study this tidbit in the "Imitation Faith" book this week at the hall

Yes, because, as the book says, faith is based on "solid evidence".

Incidentally, 33 feet of rain per hour is 6.6 inches of rain per minute...or pretty much the volume of water coming out of your tub's faucet.

Every minute.

Over 100% of the earth's surface.

For 40 days.

And yet, somehow, 100% of earth's vegetation survived this onslaught, not to mention being fully submerged afterward for a year or more.

Solid evidence, indeed.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome
    Okay, going back because I have been out 30 years now, but wasn't that part of the lyrics in a Kingdom song, something about Noah having faith cause it had never rained before? If I remember, it was a rather rousing tune? Anyone else remember this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit