My Mama

by Sentinel 24 Replies latest social family

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

My brother is probably just now arriving in FL to be with our mother. He is her youngest child and only son. She has been a very firm and faithful JW since 1958, and is scheduled for open heart surgery this week and she requested that he fly down to be with her. No small feat, as he lives in 3,000 miles away with his family. But he promised dad (already passed) he'd look out for her, and because he is still "in" and the rest of her kids are "out" and have been for many years, she really leans on him. She has not made a request for any of us to be there, and has said that he is to handle everything, even if she doesn't make it through the surgery.

I've been going over and over in my head and heart the way things are and the decision I made that I will not be going down to FL. Foremost is the fact that if she were well, she would not call me at all, and the shunning would be very strict as always. As it is now, she feels that she can alternate her calls between her three daughters and qualifies her calls with the fact that it is a health issue--which is her topic. (Although she tells me each time that she loves me very much and is so sorry she "failed me", which I'm certain means that she feels as if she failed us in our JW upbringing.) She has never been able to face the fact that we made our decisions separate from hers. She won't talk to us about other normal things, and she isn't interested in our lives, our choices, etc. I can't have a real discussion with her, because she cuts me off and says "I can't talk about that". She has nothing to do with two of her own grandchildren, and their families. It does not matter that she has three fine daughters, with children and grandchildren. What a martyr she is and always has been.

She is 79 and has been trying to work with surgeons to get her blood built up. (Her blood count is only 11.9, and they had originally told her they would not operate until it was up to 14 because of the "no blood transfusion" risk factor.) She has been getting weekly injections to try to get her body to produce more red blood cells, but it just hasn't happened. My brother said they are going to go ahead and do it, because she isn't getting any better, and is growing physically weaker. I will know more by late tomorrow, but as of now, this is all I know.

Both of my sisters feel the same as I do. Our brother has never had to endure the shunning or the emotional blackmail like we have. He has felt the affects of it, only when he lived at home. Our emotions are so very sensitive and we feel that she would again attempt a last ditch, death-bed plea for us to "return". Her love has been so conditional all our lives since the JW thing, and she believes this to be normal behavior. The affect it has had on us has been devestating, to say the least, but we have each managed to get on with our lives, and accept what we cannot change. I simply can't place myself in a position of emotional abuse right now. My brother does understand. If I were closer to her, things might be different, but she is a thousand miles away from me physically, and a million miles away from me emotionally.

My husband and I have discussed these issues and he understands. He wants me to do what my heart tells me to do and he is very supportive. I don't wish to be judged for making the decision not to go, even if she should pass. I have a beautiful memory of her that I will carry in my heart forever,--a year of time, where she allowed me to visit her for a week after dad died, and allowed my husband and I to visit her together. A time when she frequently called each of her children and things were more normal than they've been in twenty years. Then she got afraid. Some reaffirming JW information surfaced, and within several months, she was shunning me full force again, telling me there would be no communication and no visits. More recently she calls once in awhile because she feels like she "can" on account of her illness. I don't want to ruin that good memory I have. I cannot do the merry-go-round thing anymore. I'm nearly 60 years old myself. She has my brother and her sister and family, and many supportive JW's in her congregation that will be there for her.

I want to be strong. Who knows what the next few days will bring? I am the oldest and my sisters will lean on me for emotional support. My brother will too, and I will support his efforts. I will be the big sister. If she survives, she will have several more years of better quality of life, but she will revert back to that old behavior again. I just need some hugs and encouragement and thought I'd go ahead and post this here. Please keep us/me in your thoughts.

• doodle-v
    doodle-v

((((Sentinel)))))

I'm so sorry to hear that your mom is in ill health

I can understand where your coming from and, Its good that you have family that support you in your decision.

Best Wishes

Doodle-V

• nilfun
    nilfun

I'm so sorry about the situation with your mom, (((Sentinel))) Keeping you in my thoughts and hoping for the best.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I do appreciate your kindess shown here, Nilfun and Doodle. Last night I had been told by my sister that mom was going to call me. I waited all evening and the call never came. Perhaps I will hear something tonight. Word is the surgery is set for the 11th. So its wait and hear, and wait and see. There is nothing I can do except wait and try not to worry excessively about what may or may not happen.

Although I may not be on here as much in the days to come, as I don't know how this week is going to play out, keep me in your thoughts. I will try to let you know what is happening by posting here on this thread.

(((group hug))) to you all.

Karen

• Shakita
    Shakita

Karen:

I am sorry that you and your family are having so much pain. Under "normal" circumstances when our parents grow old and require medical care it can be a very stressful time for everyone. But, put that together with all the JW emotional abuse, and it just compounds things. I hope that your Mom gets through this, and that she also sees what a kind and loving family she has surrounding her.....this is a blessing that not all elderly people have.

My thoughts are with you, Karen...take care.

Mrs. Shakita

• acsot
    acsot

I just read this now and wanted to send you some positive thoughts Sentinel. What a horrible time, and to be far away (physically and emotionally) is awful. It's draining and stressful.

While it's okay to be the strong one, you need to find a safe place where you can let it all out and be "human", without worrying about other people's feelings. I'm glad that your husband is supportive. Let him be the strong one for you.

((((Sentinel))))

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Your husbands advice to follow your heart is wise and true. Often though, this is not easy, as the mind/emotions can generate a dust cloud that hides the gentle, yet far more significant meaning of the heart. This will be especially so in such a situation as you are in now. Traumatic events such as these can be special opportunities to let go the stories and phenomenal drama and go deeper within ourselves, into our sense of being and warm aliveness. Here we find our true self; and here is were love exists. Here is where your real relationship with your mother dwells. Here is where the walls between mother and daughter dissolve and an embrace can be everlasting. No need to go anywhere. You already know this, don't you Karen.

j

• Sassy
    Sassy

((((((((((((((((((((Sentinel)))))))))))))))))) My heart goes out to you. There are so many who are in similar circumstances as you and we do understand the emotions that you are going through. The way families are divided has always been my biggest problem with the WTS. Even when I was still in, I didn't like it or agree with it. My mother treats my sister the exact same way. She will allow a health problem (whether hers or my sisters .. or mine now) to be an excuse to justify allowing herself to have contact but when we are all well, then of course no contact. It has been a rollercoaster for my sister too.

I feel so bad for you.. ((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

(((Sentinel)))

I wish you a lot of strenght in the future - no matter how the surgery turnes out, it will be difficult for you.

Branda

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I am greatly encouraged by the outpouring of concern and support here. Thanks sns, Branda, Mrs. Shakita, Ascot, and James.I take all your words into my heart. I do tend to wear myself out sometimes, trying to be the strong one, trying to put on a happy face, when that is not at all how I'm feeling. I have done that to protect my loved ones--and in a way, to protect myself. We do have to find a way to deal with the realities of this life, as it is forever changing.

In this human body, I am ruled by my genetics and my connection to the source of all life--all wrapped into one. James, yes I do "know", and I believe I always "knew"; but I just had other people affecting me and doing things that I had no control over--and felt that I was trapped inside myself, and had no control. For most of my life I wasn't strong enough or confident enough in myself to overcome that separateness. I felt "different" when I was quite small, and I was different, but I kept so much inside me because I wanted so much to fit in and "belong". I was always the good girl, the good wife, the good mother. Now I am trying to be the good "me". Without "me", I'm a zero! I'm the one I really have to live with.

A lifetime of disfunctional family history, among other things, the JW issues that separated children and now adults, and the dilema of trying to be true to my heart--to listen to my heart, and finding a way to exist acceptably among others, has been especially difficult for me. So often in life, my good intentions have been misunderstood and overlooked. Many times I have felt nearly invisible. I learned I had to keep quiet and listen and watch and observe, and silently wait for my opportunity to bravely venture where I had not gone before. Once I became a young woman, my mother could never accept this part of me into her life as she was a strict dogmatic religious zealot, and it put a wedge between us. As I tell her at every opportunity these days, I cherish the good memories, and I don't dwell on other things. I know deep down, she does understand, but feels as if her God is too jealous to allow her to love him and me too, in ways that are not conditional. There is such an emptiness there, and if I try to reach out to her, she withdrawls into martyr mode.

So the pain of our mother/daughter relationship, or lack thereof for so many years, without any solid consistency, is what causes me to weep inside at the present time . Time is fliting away, and I lay in bed at night, or stare out a window and remember and wonder why, what if, but do try to remain hopeful. Here I am, 57 years old, and my mother is 79, and this is what is going on. It is so rediculous to me not to be able to show her in every facet, the firstborn child of her youth. A good child, a good daughter, a spiritual being. I have so much love to give.

The undeniable fact is, sad and bad things have to happen to us before we truly can see or experience or understand the meaning of the good and happy things. The yin and yang of life as a human being, as Karma is being worked out, so some say,-- this is my paradox. I know this.

Getting out this evening to my exercise session will help me a great deal and I'm looking forward to it.I feel a bit better as I put this into post format.

/<

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit