What Fav Christmas songs....fluff

by Brummie 30 Replies latest jw friends

• azaria
    azaria

My all time favourites are the Christmas Song (chesnuts roasting) sung by Nat King Cole and O Holy Night. The latter I heard when I was child and it was sung by Perry Como. I also like My Christmas Wish sung by Natalie Cole. Another is Silent Night sung at the evening candlelight service. It is so peaceful and beautiful. I'll always think of Blue Christmas by Elvis, only because my husband always played it Christmas morning.

• Maverick
    Maverick

My favorite song is, "All I want for Christmas is my ex wifes teeth!" Maverick

• Princess
    Princess
    New Songs' "The Christmas Shoes" is schmaltzy and sentimental, and damn near makes me weep every time

Yep, can't listen to it, too sad. I really love some of the traditional songs.

I think one of my favorite Christmas songs is "The Christians and the Pagans" I'll have to search to find the artist. Can't remember...damn funny song though.

found it!

The Christians and the Pagans
    Dar Williams

Amber called her uncle, said "We're up here for the holiday,
    Jane and I were having Solstice; now we need a place to stay."
    And her Christ-loving uncle watched his wife hang Mary on a tree,
    He watched his son hang candy canes all made with Red Dye No. 3.
    He told his niece, "Its Christmas Eve, I know our life is not your style,"
    She said, "Christmas is like Solstice, and we miss you and its been awhile."

So the Christians and the Pagans sat together at the table,
    Finding faith and common ground the best that they were able,
    And just before the meal was served, hands were held and prayers were said,
    Sending hope for peace on earth to all their gods and goddesses.

The food was great, the tree plugged in, the meal had gone without a hitch,
    Till Timmy turned to Amber and said, "Is it true that you're a wtich?"
    His mom jumped up and said, "The pies are burning," and she hit the kitchen,
    And it was Jane who spoke, she said, "It's true, your cousin's not a Christian,"
    "But we love trees, we love the snow, the friends we have, the world we share,
    And you find magic from your God, and we find magic everywhere,"

And where does magic come from? I think magic's in the learning,
    'Cause now when Christians sit with Pagans only pumpkin pies are burning.

When Amber tried to do the dishes, her aunt said, "Really, no, don't bother."
    Amber's uncle saw how Amber looked like Tim and like her father.
    He thought about his brother, how they hadn't spoken in a year,
    He thought he'd call him up and say, "It's Christmas, and your daughter's here."
    He thought of fathers, sons and brothers, saw his own son tug his sleeve, saying,
    "Can I be a Pagan?" Dad said, "We'll discuss it when they leave."

Lighting trees in darkness, learning new ways from the old, and
    Making sense of history and drawing warmth out of the cold.

• Dimples
    Dimples

I love them all!

Dimples

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

So this is Christmas --- John Lennon

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Carol of the Bells, either instrumental or vocal version...it rocks!

Riu, Riu, Chiu - Chanticleer's version (Chanticleer is an a capella vocal group who does a lot of medieval and Renaissance music...and the are about the best I've ever heard ... which is saying something)

Aspenglow, which is on John Denver's Christmas album, although technically not just about Christmas. Anything on that album except "Please, Daddy don't get drunk this Christmas" which I never listen to. Also the John Denver and the Muppets Christmas album - Miss Piggy singing..."Five Go-old Rings....BA DUM BUM BUM" is just way too great to pass up.

• apple829
    apple829
    There was a real soulful r&b version of "Do you hear what I hear" that I really liked when I was a JW, it came out about 1984 but I cant remember the who sang it, very good female vocalist and groovy music but I've never been able to trace who sang it.

Whitney Houston did a good version of this song, maybe it's her you're thinking about.

My fav's are Donnie Hathaway's version of "This Christmas," The Temptations version of "Silent Night," everything from the Charlie Brown special, and drumroll please........................

"Santa Claus Goes Straight to the Ghetto" by the Godfather himself, James Brown.

Sherryl

• Brummie
    Brummie

Apple it wasnt Whitney, sounded more like r&B singer Sharon Bryant but nothing comes under her name when searching for it. boohoo

I'll download Donny Hathaways later, hes pretty good.

Thanks all, I'll have a neat festive CD by the end of the week.

Brum

• Badger
    Badger

Even when I was an active dub, I made everybody in the car group hush when "2000 Miles" by The Pretenders came on. It still gets me...

so does "Brick" by Ben Folds Five (he mentions "day after Christmas")

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I love all the Christmas Carols my favourite are of course the tradional carols done in instrumental and in beautiful orchrestal sounds.

love Orangefatcat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit