April 2018 Broadcast - normal weird stuff

by Listener 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Half banana
    Half banana

@ Millie, How else did JW president Joseph Frankly Ratherflawed live so high on the hog without close association to Alfred Heath and his family, the owners of Coca Cola? How did anyone run a sixteen cylinder Cadillac during the depression?

HQ now being short of cash and who rarely stray from their roots in terms of methodology, perhaps have had a light bulb moment and with the drinks company historical connection in mind are using product placement as the way forward for their desperate cult?

It is in my opinion that the remarkable and unexpected windfall of cash given to the Society in 1919 not only gave it the chance to continue since it was on the verge of financial collapse but thereby fostered the notion of 'divine appointment' in that year.

In GB mentality as conceived by Russell: Watchtower financial success = divine blessing.

Like Coca Cola, image and money is paramount, the product will sell as long as it is saccharine.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Emma. She states that "when Thomas and I first learnt that I was pregnant, we were both really shocked"

Another immaculate conception? Didn't anyone teach them the 'birds and the bees'? What a mad statement.

another showed Bro. Knorr giving a talk

Not very current. The talk would be full of 'old light™' (because even God gets it wrong), that would lead to 'disfellowshipping™' if it was taught™ today. Not very encouraging at all.

a letter written by Bro. Knorr. This letter had been intercepted by the KGB before it had reached the Russian JWs. It was read, from start to end, aloud and the JWs in the Courtroom (he actually said Hall) felt it was a wonderful gift from Jehovah. The JWs felt like they had attended a convention.

Well, I guess the real story is completely different if there even was a real story. You can never trust the GB, they make stuff up.

Load of propaganda again.

At what point did they beg for money?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Are they trying to make a reference and comparison to the current day bans going on in Russia perhaps?

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

Emma remarked, "when Thomas and I first learnt that I was pregnant, we were both really shocked."

In the Director's Cut edition of the April broadcast, Emma actually went on to explain that her and Thomas had only been engaging in anal sex. "Miracles really DO happen," Thomas beamed, with a befuddled Emma seated uncomfortably next to him.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Lol Wake me!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Oh @wakeme! So funny!

#buttstuff

• dozy
    dozy
    We hear a story regarding the life of Thomas and Emma. She states that "when Thomas and I first learnt that I was pregnant, we were both really shocked"

That's a fairly typical "we are spiritual - we didn't want kids - they came about by accident" JW formulation which I have heard various versions of , over the years.

I remember a former pioneer couple in our congregation being interviewed at a convention talking about how surprised they were that their first child came along , and the interviewer making a throw away semi jokey comment about how "these things happen hehe". The fact ( not mentioned ) that they had been trying for a baby for several years and the mother had already had 2 miscarriages should perhaps have alleviated the surprise. In reality - it's just a typical JW statement designed to inform the audience that this is a "spiritual" couple who had decided not to have children for the Kingdom's sake and supposedly or not the conception was a failed contraception.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    She doesn't explain why they were both really shocked but it seems an odd reaction
    Didn't anyone teach them the 'birds and the bees'? What a mad statement.

Strange comments. Why can't pregnancy come as a shock to couples? There are many topics on this forum of members announcing that they are pregnant and were shocked when they got to know about it.

• Listener
    Listener

Dreary Weather, I don't recall anyone making the statement on this forum (or in practice) without explaining why it came as a shock. The way it came across on the video was odd because of that.

The thoughts that Dozy expressed is what came to mind but as I haven't associated with a group of JWs for many years I wasn't sure.

I left the organization in the 80s and the change in attitudes amongst many JWs in deciding not to have children after that time took me by surprise and to some degree, disappointment. It also brought home just how cultish their way of thinking is.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    I don't recall anyone making the statement on this forum (or in practice) without explaining why it came as a shock. The way it came across on the video was odd because of that.

This one:
    https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/205990/im-pregnant

No explanation. Not that she owes one. But everyone congratulated and wished her. No one mentioned that it was odd or asked for an explanation.

My point was that a couple can get surprised by pregnancy and this couple in the video is no different.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit