What is the Watchtower view on donating to charity?

by HereIgo 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• Wayward
    Wayward

I heard from the platform at a district convention that JWs shouldn't give to charities or volunteer at soup kitchens/homeless shelters because the people the aid was going to were going to die at Armageddon anyway. It would be a waste of resources that could have gone to the WT. Plus it was supposed to show a lack of faith that God would fix everything. Well, DUH. God hasn't fixed anything so obviously humans have to step up and help each other.

I was told not to give to the United Way because some of the funds MIGHT go to abortion clinics. I don't even know if that story was true or some BS the elder who said it made up to discourage me from giving. When I was growing up my congregation was told we couldn't give items to the Salvation Army or shop at one of their stores because it was 'false religion'. Helping the Red Cross was out because they used a 'pagan' symbol. Never mind that they aren't really a religious group, at least not in the modern age. The red cross just happens to be the universal symbol for hospitals and medical personnel. Giving to the local Shriners children's hospital was out because supposedly the Shriners had some occult connection. Personally, any group that does good for sick kids deserves my support.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

DARKSPILVER:

Oh, I didn't bother getting receipts since I did it a little at a time. However, I'm well aware that charities give receipts for people who want a tax deduction.

But thanks!

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

When I was first coming into the JWs around 1972 or perhaps 73 their was a 55minute public I heard that put down all charities pretty much as scaming people of money and they cited high salary corporation members to give the impression they don't do much real good for society and God's kingdom was the answer to man's woes so money was much better off in the hands of the WT instead of their poor members donating to some charity.

Hey the WT draws uneducated low wage earners and prays on their gulibility they don't want any of that money going to charities instead of them. They were much more brazen then but you never know times may get so bad for them that may stoop even lower in the asking for cash to stay afloat thing. They already want take a kids ice cream money, and dump his toys down the trash can so I say they will stoop much worse.

I'm sure they are getting desperate and have a very bad credit rating already,,, as a sinking corporation due to bad deluded management. So bye bye Kingdom Halls and anything they can sell to keep afloat, because these clown are on the cusp of a great tribulation as popularity takes a nose dive among the rank and file.

• Chook
    Chook

You can donate to a charity as long it's the BCF. Bethelite caviar fund.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

There's a full list here of all non christian and non Watchtower charities that the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses has approved for JWs to donate to:

https://www.jw.org/en/approved-non-christian-charities

• Listener
    Listener
    Many charities provide their financials so that individuals can make informed decisions on whether to donate but the organisation provides nothing.
  • blondie
    blondie

United Way has donations set up to one specific group with easily identifiable goals, but also across the board for linked groups with similar goals. There is no excuse not to donate and not know what your money goes for....just an excuse.

BTW, I have found that non-jws have lots of excuses too each year when I handled the United Way program in my company. At least give enough to make a difference on your taxes if you deduct.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Their official policy is that it's up to each individual member. Unofficially, it's pointless, as only the coming new world can solve man's problems. Therefore, the brothers and sisters should donate to the worldwide preaching work instead.

Keyser is exactly right. As long as the organization you donate to is not in business for something that is at odds with the Borg. I remember a number of years ago a sister gave a sizeable donation to a non-profit hospital that helped save the life of her husband (like $25,000). I don't recall anyone who knew about it saying anything negative.

Another older brother in a different congregation made it very clear that he thought the Habitat for Humanity that helps build houses for people that can't otherwise afford them was good to donate to. His reasoning, as he said repeatedly, was that it was easier to find and preach to people if they have a front door to knock on.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit