What is the Watchtower view on donating to charity?

by HereIgo 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

I've always had the impression that they frowned upon it, but never quite knew for sure....

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

What is the Watchtower view on donating to charity?

In WatchTower World..

There Is Only One Charity...."WatchTower"..

Watchtower Will Take Every..

$$$$$$$$$ YOU HAVE..

Image result for shaking money out of pockets

• Simon
    Simon

I remember hearing comments from the platforms to the effect that "it's a waste and won't really solve any problems" ... of course it means a great deal to the poor and hungry right now, much more than some vague promise of better times if Jebus ever arrives.

They are strangely less dismissive of money being given to them for their endeavours, little of which ever goes to those truly in need, but the GB like their gold watches and rings it seems.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Their official policy is that it's up to each individual member. Unofficially, it's pointless, as only the coming new world can solve man's problems. Therefore, the brothers and sisters should donate to the worldwide preaching work instead.

• Mephis
    Mephis

Like Simon and keyser soze, I grew up with the impression that spare money went to the WBTS and Armageddon was going to sort out everything else. 'The poor will always be with you' thing. No real 'official' policy, just the internal culture pushing things in a certain direction. They push things like giving to WBTS means 'charity' in the normal sense of the word happens.

eg "How Can We Help to Meet the Needs of Others" (13 November, Watchtower)

In the face of natural and man-made disasters, we do not tell needy brothers and sisters to “keep warm and well fed.” (Jas. 2:15, 16) Instead, we seek to provide for their physical needs. Similarly, after receiving warning of a coming famine in the first century, “the disciples determined, each of them according as anyone could afford it, to send a relief ministration to the brothers dwelling in Judea.”—Acts 11:28-30.
    As Jehovah’s servants, we are eager to help needy individuals in a material way. However, people also have a spiritual need. (Matt. 5:3) To help them become aware of that need and take steps to satisfy it, Jesus commissioned his followers to make disciples. (Matt. 28:19, 20) We individually devote much of our time, energy, and resources to carrying out that commission. As an organization, we use some donated funds to provide material help, but donations are used chiefly to promote Kingdom interests and spread the good news. We thus show our love for God and for our neighbors.—Matt. 22:37-39.
    Those who support the worldwide work of Jehovah’s Witnesses can be sure that their donations are used properly and effectively. Are you in a position to help bring relief to your brothers in need? Do you desire to support the disciple-making work? If so, “do not hold back good from those to whom it is owing, when it happens to be in the power of your hand to do it.”—Prov. 3:27.

WBTS is a one stop charity shop according to Brooklyn.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

They claim and preach that this entire planet as is isn't worth saving. They also expect people to dedicate their entire lives to their purpose. Those things can give you a clue on their stance of helping others outside themselves.

That position about other affairs outside their organization is one of the things that i criticize the most. I'm not very fond of organized religion, but at least you can see things like Catholic Charities, schools and many other non-profit, community based organizations that come directly from religious organizations. The WT is very arrogant, greedy and self-centered when it comes to charity work.

• stillin
    stillin

The postal deliverer asks every year for canned food for a local food bank. My wife acts like Babylon the Great has asked her to commit fornication! I leave my wife to her fantasies and sneak some stuff off to the post office. What can it hurt to help actually feed somebody?

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

@stillin that's funny...you would think Jesus would want Christians to give, guess that society doesn't see it that way.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

What do you think would happen if a homeless person walked up to a JW cart on the street and ask for money for food. Here take this WT, read it and learned to wash windows, better yet research how you can live off the Government without paying your share and take advantage of all the benefits. Sorry I have no money to give you, all my funds are invested in the WT. Homeless person: "I was only asking for a dollar". This was some what the experience I had in the 70's. A guy came up to me and another brother while we were in the street work and I told him I have none to give but offered him the WT. Wow, he jumped all over me. He told me "you fool you are standing here on this corner offering those mags and the top men in NY are living like kings and there were other things he said when walking away I won't mention. Looking back I thought the guy was a nut, hell he knew more about the WT than us two fools standing on that corner. If you never tried street work near a liquor store, OH boy you will get a ear full...That's where they need to set up their carts today..

• blondie
    blondie

But the WTS can accept charity from the UN and national governments....

jws can accept charity from the Salvation Army, Red Cross, religious groups, during disasters, (food banks as well)

Just shouldn't donate

No donations at official WTS levels, only if individual jw wants to help a fellow jw

And can only help jws in "good standing"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit