So you think I'm a hypocrite?

by dothemath 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• amac
    amac

Sirona,

Give it a rest...you make it seem as every passing minute dothemath hesitates on his decision that people are falling down dead left and right. You have no idea how he handles talks, advice, shepherding, etc. Perhaps at the moment he is able to do things without going against his conscience, in which case he is NOT hypocritical.

Dothemath,

Not sure if you are still reading this, but to repeat what others have essentially said...no need to make any rash decisions. The hardest part is breaking through the "everything the FD&S says must be right" mentality. Once you have done that, it is much easier to examine all their teachings, literature, talks, etc from an objective viewpoint and make your own decision on what is right/wrong, or christ-like and unchrist-like. Good Luck!

• minimus
    minimus

Was he asking this question because it was being suggested he was a hypocrite?

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Min -

I an earlier thread, Joker10 accused him to being a hypocrite.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/62582/956132/post.ashx#956132

growedup

• minimus
    minimus

Yes, I know. That's why he put the question out."I was just answering his question"-----responses is as hypocritical as thinking dothemath is a hypocrite for still being an elder. How do you know what he's actually THINKING, not just posting? I don't know this man but I surely can relate to him. The biggest difference is I waited until I KNEW I was out. But many of us deal with some of the same things he has, while an elder. Some here seem to have the belief that the only "real good elder is a dead elder."......(of course, we feel that way toward everyone but dothemath).

• Dansk
    Dansk
    In an earlier thread, Joker10 accused him to being a hypocrite.

Isn't Joker10 still a Borgite? If so, who's he to call dothemath a hypocrite? At least dothemath has conceded all is not right in dubdom and he's come here to find out more. If Joker10 is a JW he's an even bigger hypocrite because he shouldn't be here if he thinks all's right with Watchtower. This forum is deemed off-list by the Borg emperors so what's Joker10 doing here?

Ian

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Joker10 wishes he was Fred Hall, but he doesn't have the class.

Sirona, ma'am, I agree with you one hundred percent on whether or not DTM should leave the borg.

Also, I want you to know that I respect your struggle and your passion and your pain. I really do, and I don't want to be dismissive or cruel to one who has suffered so much.

He should. He should step down as an elder and give a surprise final public talk denouncing the watchtower for all its unholy glory. He should immediately donate three thousand dollars to JWD and then move to an island in the Caribbean, making love to every woman he meets on the way. Oh wait, that's what I should do.

But let's be realistic. What do we actually want? Him to leave the borg. What's the best way to get it? Did any of us ever leave because people on the outside called us hypocrites? I would think not. It was people on the inside who specialized in that kind of verbal assault.

I agree, that at some point, it is going to become hypocritical for DTM to remain in the borg. I don't think that the moment is yet - I think he has some time to get everything together. It's not like he is singlehandedly responsible for the molestation coverups, etc. While he takes the time to consider his options, we should assist him through it - eventually he will come around. He's already showed that he thinks for himself, so let's just give him the benefit of the doubt.

I must say that there ARE good elders. I've known them. They are getting fewer and fewer - and the new ones are not the spiritual titans of old, but that's not DTM's fault! In the end, I am confident that he will maek the right choice.

While I tend to assign good motives to unknown people, and you seem to assign negative ones, I would suggest that if he was truly considering becoming a hypocritical, "society man" of an elder, then he wouldn't be here looking for help. He knows what the right thing to do is, and it is bothering him. That is why I tend to want to be extra nice to him and help him out.

You certainly have the right to say whatever you want - but if you want to help DTM escape the borg, I think the best way is to be nice.

And that would be a great victory over the evil empire we have suffered under.

CZAR

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Sirona:
    ~in best Homer Simpson voice~: "Rooouuuuugh!!!"

Minimus:

The biggest difference is I waited until I KNEW I was out.

Me too. I decided to leave after my doctrines changed, reading the bible. It wasn't until AFTER this point that I researched the JW's on the Net, and stumbled across Freeminds and JWD.
    I remained in the JW's, as an Elder until the end (for a further four months), going through the gamit of emotions.

I, too, wondered whether or not I could help reform it from within, and seriously considered staying in and becoming the CO that I was being groomed to become.
    Alas, they are a lost hope, so I finally left.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Czar

Thanks for your post, I think it gives a more balanced view of the whole thing.

While I tend to assign good motives to unknown people, and you seem to assign negative ones, I would suggest that if he was truly considering becoming a hypocritical, "society man" of an elder, then he wouldn't be here looking for help. He knows what the right thing to do is, and it is bothering him. That is why I tend to want to be extra nice to him and help him out.

I agree with that. It is true that I do not trust strangers and I wait to find out if they're truly nice people. I think that stems from people I've trusted have letting me down - so I don't trust. It may seem extreme to some, I actually think its stupidity to automatically think people are nice, because that seems naive and I tend to think that it sets you up for them to take advantage of your trusting nature.

I suppose I'm putting DTM into a mold - that mold is based on things I've seen elders do, etc. I should not assume he is like them.

One elder (50odd years old) I know who did leave the JWs left by seducing my best friend who was 17 years old at the time and running away with her. She'd been abused all her life and he took advantage of her neediness. His wife of 25 years was devastated. Then they let him come back when he decided to start going back to meetings....

Anyway, I hope DTM continues posting and researching, and that eventually some good comes out of the situation he's in.

Sirona

• Dansk
    Dansk

Sirona

It may seem extreme to some, I actually think its stupidity to automatically think people are nice, because that seems naive and I tend to think that it sets you up for them to take advantage of your trusting nature.

I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt - but I know exactly where you're coming from. Let's face it, most of us here have had our good natures brought to the service, massaged and then, when it suited them and we'd been hooked, crushed by elders and other representatives of the Watchtower. We were enticed by the friendly smiles, the seemingly happy unity and the wonderful promises for the future that our natures identified with - and then we found out the reality!

Yes, Sirona, we were conned, so it's little wonder you react the way you do and especially in light of what happened to your abused friend(s).

It's good to see things from different perspectives and I appreciate your posts.

Love,

Ian

• Sirona
    Sirona

Ian,

It's good to see things from different perspectives and I appreciate your posts.

Thanks, it does mean a lot to me for someone to post that.

I suppose you can see where I'm coming from because despite the fact that I have only met you once at an apostofest, it turns out we had experience of the same dodgy elder

Sirona

PS. Strange how dothemath hasn't posted anything on his own thread, isn't it?

(edited for a typo)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit