by neat blue dog 21 Replies latest social entertainment

•  The Bethelite
    The Bethelite

"The truth...."

What is truth?

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Vidiot:

No you don't understand. JWs are unique from most conservatives. They are anti gun, anti government, anti war, anti any history or heritage but their own. Many members are hippie types who were attracted to the paradise Earth concept and often go for conspiracy theories and alternate medicine. The religious beliefs only came along on the side.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

So he's had his career, made his money and is now ready to setting down and join the cult. Much like that basketball player a few months ago.

I hope he finds what he's looking for... although we all know he wont.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ neat blue dog...

I think your point might be kind of an exception-that-proves-the-rule thing... all the loyal, hard-core JWs I knew growing up hit the real hot-points of hard-core conservatism, IMO.

Consider this... the WTS has stated - in no uncertain terms - that it plans to be around after Armageddon to govern in the New System, with the Warwick compound functioning as the de facto planetary capital. Seriously.

Now, imagine the Org being given control of a small country tomorrow.

Within a decade or less, advances in science and medicine in said country will have ground to a halt... foreign entertainment would be banned... democracy, free speech, and freedom of religion would be nonexistent... any form of alternative sexual expression (even between heterosexual married couples) would be outlawed... travel outside the country would be restricted... creationism would be mandated in schools... the justice system would favor the religious elite... disfellowshipped individuals would be imprisoned or deported... and "apostates" would be sentenced to death without possibility of appeal or reprieve.

Anyone who denies this is either naive or lying.

I have just described far-right (i.e. ultra-conservative) religionists' dream regime.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Not to mention that the few XJWs who do gravitate towards another religion after exiting almost always lean evangelical, which is - traditionally - conservative. And every JW loyalist I knew growing up talked about hippies like they were the Devil's private army.

And before you try and tell me that "authentic" conservatism is independent of religious conservatism, try running for local office as a secular Republican who eschews the Christian Right's hot points, and see how well you do.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Whoops, double post.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Jehovah's Witnesses are like Scientology but for famous "Black" people instead of famous "White" people.

• DesirousOfChange
  • blondie
    blondie

DOC, I guess you don't watch Empire. I don't either. I avoid shows with Terrence on them, regardless of his jw status.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

He played Rhodey in the first “Iron Man” movie, but the character was recast with Don Cheadle in “Iron Man 2” and all subsequent MCU appearances.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit