Griffin Assembly Hall (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) now a Megachurch

by Sanchy 31 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

I remember feeding the "resident alligator" there.

I didn't realize they housed a member of the Governing Body in the building. I learn something new everyday!

• Hecce
    Hecce

steve28 minutes agoI

remember feeding the "resident alligator" there.

I didn't realize they housed a member of the Governing Body in the building. I learn something new everyday!

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

But why did the org sell it? Circuit assemblies are such good money makers.

Keep in mind that C.A.'s are only one day in length now, while the cost remains the same as a two-day C.A.

Therefore, twice as many circuits can be exploited in one building, all the while doubling the income.

• James Jack
    James Jack

I worked many weekends there, free labor to build this Assembly Hall.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Back in early 90's after Andrew went through I slept between the rows of chairs one night in the main hall. It was really a beautiful building. The Plant City assembly hall was in the planing stages and we was told it could not be as elaborate like the Ft. Lauderdale assembly hall. Those wall murals are outstanding. Such wasted money and time given by the beaten sheep. Still Totally ADD

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The last "elders' school" I attended was at this assembly hall. What a dreadful memory.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

It was a BEAUTIFUL hall and location. Very easy to get to from anywhere in South Florida. I did a lot of volunteer work there when we needed to upgrade and clean the outside (yes, being a few blocks from the edge of the Everglades, everything grew there like crazy).

It was a sad day for many here when we learned we had to go to West Palm Beach (an hour or more drive depending on traffic) and abandon our beautiful Assembly Hall.

Rub a Dub

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

No doubt 'dedicated to Jehovah'. It's a good thing 'Jehovah and Jesus completely trust the faithful and discreet slave' otherwise Jehovah may get really pissed off.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

"Almost 7 years later, money from sale vanished and there's no more talk of a new hall closer to us. "

The same thing can be said for a supposed Assembly hall that for about a year and half took in donations for in the SW Ohio area. The hall was supposed to be built in Cincinnati, OH. But all of the sudden, poof, it was gone. And there was $1.8 million donated towards it. I asked an elder what happened to that money. He said, "Oh, it's with the branch now."

Oh, how nice. :(

• Magnum
    Magnum

OMG! That brings back memories. I worked on that building in the 80's. I well remember the murals. I was told that some brothers from South America did them.

I and several others were rolling a cart of drywall and it tipped over pinning me against a wall. It didn't hurt, but it scared them; they thought I was crushed.

Back then we thought the end was imminent. What happened??? I could never have foreseen what JWdom would become and how my feelings would change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit