Griffin Assembly Hall (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) now a Megachurch

by Sanchy 31 Replies latest jw friends

• waton
    waton

I remember feeding the "resident alligator" there. It all looked like paradise a lot, but it was not, the critter was a carnivore.

• burnedout
    burnedout

It looks a lot more up-beat than when I was there for a km school. The plaster murals were neat, though.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

Hecce: That promise is a very "old and trusted con"

So true Hecce. Funny thing is that even after the WTB Auditorium loan was supposed to be paid out with the sale of this one, they were still asking for the same amount of money at assemblies ran on that location. I never quite understood that. Costs for a typ circuit assembly @WPB were anywhere from $20-25k before AND after the supposed paying off of loan.

Vidiot: There's a fundamental irony floating around here, somewhere...

It's somewhere in there I suppose lol

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

Does anyone know how much the org sold it for?

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I grew up in the Fort Lauderdale area. The plastered walls from what I was told and remember (I was 10) was that they sort of snuck it in, misrepresenting what they were doing to Bethel until it was too late. At every CA, an announcement was told "not to touch the walls." It was a nice facility. Many adulterous arrangements were evidently made their based on all the disfellowshippings I remember... lol

I miss the alligator and the pond. I don't miss the drive out there. Not that I live down there anymore. The location wasn't very good imo

I recall at the time that we would rent the WPB auditorium for DC's when we didn't use the Hialeah racetrack. Whatever their reason for getting rid of Griffin Road, I am sure it was in some way a small "F you" to the local elders that did things their way.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

Does anyone know how much the org sold it for?

According to Realtytrac it sold for 12 Million

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

12M sounds like a nice little profit.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Those murals on the wall were awesome, it's a real shame the new MegaChurch has decided to cover them up! Seems strange! Anyway, what a freakin' SHAFT the WT Org gave it's members by selling this lovely facility, and then lying to them that they'd be getting something else! What a bunch of crooks! Total, money-grubbing, CROOKS!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Sell 'em all, I say.

Anything that makes it easier for faders, fakers, and fence-sitters to f**k off.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

We were also told that with the funds raised from the sale of this one we would pay off the loan due for the West Palm Beach auditorium

where did the loaned money come from ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit