Did Geoffrey Jackson lie under oath at the ARC?

by Vanderhoven7 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    The only conclusion that can be made from this is that you admit prior to the 80s the org. taught parents to be abusive when it came to discipline.
    Interesting,

Of course I meant that. There is nothing to admit. All JW's in during the 80 and 90's including us knew that the using the rod meant spanking your child. People were not suddenly spanking their kids after becoming JW's and reading the articles about it. It was an accepted form of punishment in many lands.

Now whether spanking your kid constitutes "abuse" is a different spectrum of discussion.

Also, my point was that at the time of the ARC testimony, JW's didn't endorse corporal punishment.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The JWs dont endorse something at certain times to benefit the Borg..for public image.

Then they will turn around and do the opposite when they want to enforce its policies amongst its members.

You know, having it both ways.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

This is a nothing burger.

During that same time period, school principals/teachers also used corporal punishment (paddling) as did most parents. Things change over time. (Enlightenment?) WT cannot be singled out on the issue. WT has changed their position as has all or most of society.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Indeed, it looks like their guidance changed as societal attitudes towards spanking changed. Good for them! But it would have been nice for Jehovah to give them the info a bit earlier. Would have saved me from a few whippings.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Lie under oath?

In JW world, that depends on who you're talking to.

I remember a corporate brother visiting our congregation in the 90's. He was a "special" speaker on loan from the organization for the dedication of our quick build.

He gave fascinating experiences with slides (gotta love those) about his work in lands under ban, including specifically how he at times would answer questions to authorities in a way that would allow him to be honest while manipulating them to a desired conclusion.

It's okay to provide an answer that might seem dishonest while being truthful when speaking to Satan's worldly authorities.

I ate it up. It gave me license to deceive while being truthful. It's an art that the Watchtower endorses. That's why you have to listen very closely to the wording they use.

The speaker quoted Matthew 10:16,17

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/library/r1/lp-e/all-publications/watchtower/the-watchtower-1953/august-15

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Its not called lying..

Its called " theocratic warfare".

When its done to benefit the Borgs interests.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I just remembered a long time ago when an older sister I once knew was constantly complaining about how the federal government had “banned” corporal punishment.

Eventually, I got so goddamned sick of hearing it I finally said, “wow, you must’ve really liked it, considering how much you complain about how you miss it” (paraphrasing, but not much).

The look on her face was fucking priceless.

More importantly, I said this in front of the whole bookstudy group and did not get in any trouble for it…

…and she never brought the subject up again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit