Did Geoffrey Jackson lie under oath at the ARC?

by Vanderhoven7 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I understand he intimated that the Faithful Slave was not the only spokesman for Jehovah God. He also intimated that corporal punishment was not advocated by the WTS

We're these lies or deception or did they represent the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

There was a qualifier in his answer.

Something like 'it would be presumptuous to say we are the only spokespersons...'

When he said it, I remember thinking he misrepresented the JW view.

Then my 2nd thought was "Huh. He didn't lie. It *is* presumptuous."

For anyone who cares to review his testimony:

The Testimony of Geoffrey Jackson at the Australian Royal Commission – Preach From The Housetops

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    He didn't lie. It *is* presumptuous."

And even that part was worded so he wouldn't get in trouble with JWs. He said it would "seem" to be presumptuous.

• Listener
    Listener

Yes, he lied about corporal punishment. The following is part of what he said -

In relation to Proverbs 13:34 about 'whoever holds back his rod hates his son he was questioned and responded "It absolutely is not about inflicting corporal punishment" Then he was asked "Do you accept corporal punishment' and he replies "No" ..."Not personally, no, and not as an organization, we don't encourage it"

For years the organization has referred to the rod of discipline being physical punishment and also includes other forms of discipline or teaching.

W 0611/1

With regard to discipline, the Bible states: “The rod and reproof are what give wisdom.” (Proverbs 29:15) However, not all children need physical punishment. Proverbs 17:10 tells us: “A rebuke works deeper in one having understanding than striking a stupid one a hundred times.”

They have never said that Prov 13:34 does not include the use of corporal punishment.

The above Watchtower quote also promotes the idea of physical punishment. It simply says it may not always be needed. Which is not the same as not encouraging it because it is doing that very thing.

It doesn't matter if he accepts it or doesn't, that may well be true that he doesn't we wouldn't know if he was lying about that or not but we do know what the organizations view is and they encourage it but with the qualifier of it not being required all the time.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

In norwegian wt literature it is stated like this:

The Bible often uses sheʹvet symbolically, as an image of authority. (2 Samuel 7: 14; Isaiah 14: 5) When it comes to parental authority, the rod or 'rice' can include all forms of discipline, and they need not be of a physical nature. According to Norwegian law, it is not permitted to use physical punishment in child-rearing
  • Duran
    Duran

Jackson is saying that the GB are not Jehovah's ONLY spokespersons that he is using as such but that the GB are the ONLY ones that make up the F&DS. Clearly, he is referring to ALL JW's as being God's spokespeople.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I remember watching some of the clips and being a bit surprised that he was being evasive and implying a different set of standards than the ones I remember receiving when I was active. These were the same men who encouraged the rank and file to stand fast in the face of even the most severe persecution, because Jehovah would balance the scales in due time. Wasn't Jehovah disappointed in brother Jackson for not giving an unambiguous witness to these men? Where was the spirit of Stephen?

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

When anyone says-" it seems it would be presumptuous"- isn't that a hard statement to lead people to question those two little words and that, no- you have doubts in making that wording about being the only religion to help people get into the new system? That other beliefs may also be able to do so as well? 'Seems' to who? Just because he mentioned the slave later on, his statement would cause any thinking follower to have doubts. It did me. He didn't say, yes we have the true religion- he squirreled around the question. His answer should have been questioned further. Stewart was great, no doubt about it, but these GB can lie til the cows come home. He (Jackson) changed the subject like you would change a kids mind.

• blondie
    blondie
    I see that the WTS is continuing to use "weasel words" to protect themselves from legal repercussions. Remember Legal at Bethel outvotes the old "Service Desk" on any issue that can bring legal problems for the WTS. Elders are directed to call Legal first before getting any advice on issues to make sure they don't have a legal issue imbedded.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Evidently, apparently, assumed, clearly, no doubt, could,, maybe.....

Same thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit