BBC Radio 4. 14th February 2016. ''Sunday'' program with article on Witnesses and child abuse.

by ThomasCovenant 76 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Mephis:

I was disappointed with Rosenberg's comments. He seemed to have missed the point, and got it wrong re paper records.

• Landy
    Landy
    Interesting - thanks for doing the digging Joe.
  • Mephis
    Mephis
    • I was disappointed with Rosenberg's comments. He seemed to have missed the point, and got it wrong re paper records.
      • True. There's a lot of confusion on this to be fair, and it's a culty little world of its own. Effectively WBTS are using Data Protection Act as a surrogate for a Clergy privilege not granted under British law (see their argument vs charity commission inquiry currently and compare to First Amendment defences they use in exact same manner in the US). The actual data they do retain is nominal, and of little value - for most things at least. And that's by design in Britain, because otherwise they'd have elders' judicial committee notes being demanded by 'apostates', and that could get tasty even in civil actions let alone if a judge started demanding they produce evidence for criminal cases. It's the WBTS' inherent secrecy which is the issue here, and it's that which has to be broken down if we're going to see them have effective child safeguarding which really should be the aim.
  • Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

And here's the entry for Newport Gwent congregation:

Information Commissioners Office logo

Data Protection Register - Entry Details

Registration Number: ZA097437

Date Registered: 29 January 2015 Registration Expires: 28 January 2017

Data Controller: Newport North Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses

Address:
    Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses
    Penkin Hill
    Newport
    Gwent
    NP19 9NX

Other Names:

Unknown

This register entry describes, in very general terms, the personal data being processed by:

Newport North Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses

Nature of work - Religious Worship and related activities

Description of processing

The following is a broad description of the way this organisation/data controller processes personal information. To understand how your own personal information is processed you may need to refer to any personal communications you have received, check any privacy notices the organisation has provided or contact the organisation to ask about your personal circumstances.

Reasons/purposes for processing information

We do not process personal information. We only use Camera Images to protect access to the site against those intent on criminal activities or intent on causing harm.

Type/classes of information processed

I process information relevant to the above reasons/purposes. This information may include:

• Security Camera footage

I also process sensitive classes of information that may include:

• offences including alleged offences.

Who the information is processed about

Anyone accessing the Kingdom Hall

Who the information may be shared with

Possibly only the Police if it became necessary

Where required by law, I share information with healthcare, social and welfare organisations.

CCTV for crime prevention

CCTV is used for maintaining the security of property and premises and for preventing and investigating crime, For these reasons the information processed may include visual images, personal appearance and behaviours. This information may be about offenders and suspected offenders, members of the public and those inside, entering or in the immediate vicinity of the area under surveillance. Where necessary or required this information is shared with the data subjects themselves, and police forces, making an enquiry.

Transfers
    It may sometimes be necessary to transfer personal information overseas. When this is needed information is only shared within the European Economic Area (EEA). Any transfers made will be in full compliance with all aspects of the data protection act.

---

© Copyright
  • Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Oh dear. I don't think this can be right.

Newport cong don't process any personal information apart from CCTV images, they say. So, no records of cong members, no records of publishers' hours, no records of JCs, - well, you get the idea.

Naughty Newport - but at least they registered (bet it was only 'cos they have CCTV). Very few other congs have (search at ICO).

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Mephis:

"It's the WBTS' inherent secrecy which is the issue here, and it's that which has to be broken down if we're going to see them have effective child safeguarding which really should be the aim."

I entirely agree.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

And here's another one:

Information Commissioners Office logo

Data Protection Register - Entry Details

Registration Number: Z3204293

Date Registered: 27 June 2012 Registration Expires: 26 June 2016

Data Controller: KINGDOM HALL OF JEHOVAHS WITNESSES

Address:
    WINDWARD WAY
    CASTLE BROMWICH
    BIRMINGHAM
    B36 0UF

This register entry describes, in very general terms, the personal data being processed by:

KINGDOM HALL OF JEHOVAHS WITNESSES

Nature of work - CCTV and Crime Prevention

Description of processing

The following is a broad description of the way this organisation/data controller processes personal information. To understand how your own personal information is processed you may need to refer to any personal communications you have received, check any privacy notices the organisation has provided or contact the organisation to ask about your personal circumstances.

Reasons/purposes for processing information

We process personal information using a CCTV system to monitor and collect visual images for the purpose of security and prevention and detection of crime.

Type/classes of information processed

We process information relevant to the above reasons/purposes. This may include; personal details, personal appearance and behaviour; visual images.

We also process sensitive classes of information that may include:

• offences and alleged offences
    • criminal proceedings, outcomes and sentences
    • visual images, personal appearance and behaviour

Who the information is processed about

We process personal information about:

• staff
    • customers, clients
    • offenders and suspected offenders
    • members of the public and people in the area which is under CCTV surveillance

Who the information may be shared with

We sometimes need to share the personal information we process with the individual themself and also with other organisations. Where this is necessary we are required to comply with all aspects of the Data Protection Act (DPA). What follows is a description of the types of organisations we may need to share some of the personal information we process with for one or more reasons.

Where necessary or required we share information with:

• business associates
    • service providers
    • enquirers and complainants
    • police forces and security organisations

Transfers

It may sometimes be necessary to transfer personal information overseas. When this is needed information is only shared within the European Economic Area (EEA). Any transfers made will be in full compliance with all aspects of the data protection act.

---
    © Copyright
  • Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy
    They only keep/process CCTV stuff, too, and only share it within the EEA!
  • Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

OK - anyone here from Newport North or Castle Bromwich who's turned in a time report? No need for any personal info.

If so, I'll raise a query with ICO on the basis that I understand that they're keeping, processing and transferring personal data caught by the DPA but outside the terms of their registration.

Then we'll move on to congos which haven't registered at all ...

• Mephis
    Mephis

Section 62 through 64 of the branch handbook is their internal data handling policy. It's nothing amazing, but it's on the ARC website as part of the evidence gathered there. Nothing incredibly unusual other than their assertion that they will never destroy data about a person's status as a JW because that's part of their religion to know.

The British specific policy information is contained in letters from 1999/2000. I know I posted a few, and I'm sure konceptual99 (?) posted more too. It gives what the elders actually do retain after notes have been destroyed. It's not a lot. Sure someone can link. My internet keeps dying (BT sucks) or I would repost.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit