BBC Radio 4. 14th February 2016. ''Sunday'' program with article on Witnesses and child abuse.

by ThomasCovenant 76 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Phizzy
    Phizzy
    Well done and thanks Joe, your independent and accurate assessment has much weight.
  • Landy
    Landy
    And I still think that such a request from the Borg stems from the desire to avoid litigation, avoiding the Org being sued is their only concern, the poor victims can go jump off a cliff as far as "God's Organization" is concerned.

I don't disagree with any of that - it's still something they've always done and not in particular a response to Goddard.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy
    Yes I am aware of that Landy, and at the end they will probably only have that left as an excuse, "it has always been our practice", and of course no JW will think "but why ?".
  • Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Landy:

There have been huge misunderstandings about DPA (in E&W) since its inception and I spent a lot of time in my former career dealing with them.

The principle is that any organisation which holds searchable identifiable personal data (electronically or in paper indexed systems) about individuals must register with OIC and say why it holds that data and the use to which it will be put. It must hold the data in confidence, ensure that it is correct, and only retain it for the specified purposes and for as long as is required for those purposes, and not disclose it other than for the purposes specified in its registration.

Most (if not all) data holders have a clause which includes disclosure for the purpose of crime prevention and detection, or similar, which applicants sign up to, for example, when they apply for a credit card. It's not actually necessary, because the DPA contains specific provisions on this. Data-holders cannot refuse to provide information required for crime detection and prevention purposes using DPA as a reason.

And, don't forget, the right to confidentiality always belongs to the subject of that data, not the organisation holding it.

Just a thought, I need to wander off and check the OIC site to see whether JW congos are registered ...

• Landy
    Landy
    Just a thought, I need to wander off and check the OIC site to see whether JW congos are registered ...

It would be interesting to know - remember they are classed as non-profit whch can mean exemption (in tne uk).

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

"remember they are classed as non-profit whch can mean exemption (in tne uk)."

I hadn't considered that and will check. I'm not sure it's correct - think of some of the huge charities in UK, but it's a good point.

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Phizzy:

Thanks for your comment. I'm sure that my views/opinions/comments are of no more consequence than those of anyone else, but if they come back to me I am happy to back them up with references and examples.

• cofty
    cofty

Joe I always look out for your posts on these topics in particular. Thank you for your input.

I think the combination of the CC investigation and this inquiry is enough to make the UK branch quite nervous at the moment. My impression from Australia is that their legal advice is not as good as it could be - or perhaps the leaders arrogantly ignore the legal advice when it doesn't suit them.

• stanley theater
    stanley theater

Data protection act - Denmark incident.

i believe that some years ago individuals broke-in to the Danish Bethel and accessed JC files. Information was revealed to the media and caused a big reaction.

i understand that subsequently WT issued instructions to not record details of incidents , and to simply highlight a Bible verse that related to the case.

Any more info ?

Stanley

• Landy
    Landy
    I think the combination of the CC investigation and this inquiry is enough to make the UK branch quite nervous at the moment

I certainly hope so. And yes, I suspect a lot of their internal legal advice may well be second rate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit