Two (circumstantial) lines of evidence for the real motivation behind the Russian lobbying?

by doubtfull1799 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

I second that motion...follow the money.

• baker
    baker

http://www.religioustolerance.org/witness9.htm

Wonder why they didn't have a letter writing campaign back in 2004 when they were first banned in Russia?

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

During the letter writing campaign for Malawi, we were instructed to contact all government officials living in our territory to ask them to join the letter writing campaign. I was new, and diligently followed that instruction, seeking out all local/district/county councillors, and giving them the templates we had.

If your average Dub was asked to write to political leaders on behalf of any other group, say Syrian refugees, they would say, "sorry, can't help, it would compromise my political neutrality".

Wouldn't it be great if they widened their campaign and started asking the public in general to join them? I would love to see their face when they knock on my door and I tell them I can't help because I'm politically neutral.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    baker: Wonder why they didn't have a letter writing campaign back in 2004 when they were first banned in Russia?

There have been letter writing campaigns within Russia before. There was one back in 1999 to protest the Russian government including refusal of blood transfusions in the definition of "extremism". Apparently, it must have worked. It wasn't included.

This global call to pen and paper is a followup to one that the Russian JWs did in 2105:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/4748746959093760/2015-letter-writing-campaign-called-wts-russia

In that campaign, the Russian JWs "buried Putin in emails".

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    Wonder why they didn't have a letter writing campaign back in 2004 when they were first banned in Russia?

My mother was all riled up about the Russia thing last weekend. I told her it was nothing new and that they had been banned before in Moscow. She said I was wrong and that this was like nothing they'd ever seen before. I didn't argue with her after that.

As a side note, I remember how excited some of the Witnesses were in 2004 when the Moscow ban came through. It was the primary subject of public prayers for a while. That was during the tail-end of my involvement with them, though. i was out by 2005.

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

Don't know if this was mentioned, but with all the technology today, and with worldwide participation in the letter writing, I would assume names and locations of all individuals may be placed on a list??? With Russia wanting to take in other countries, would that not be a boon to their locating everyone they wanted too? When the previous letter writing campaigns took place, there was not any way tracking would have taken place, today life is not private anymore for anyone..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit