Is There Life On Mars?

by LoveUniHateExams 23 Replies latest social current

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

No, I'm not talking about the David Bowie song, I'm asking does life exist on Mars?

Opportunity rover (the one before the present one) took photos of strange, puffball-like sphericals seemingly sprouting on the Martian surface.

These photos aren't conclusive evidence but it is an exciting area to investigate.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9546225/Scientists-claim-evidence-FUNGI-Red-Planet.html

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

I remember the last time they thought they found the remains of bacteria. It was just what the lobbyists needed to get needed funding from Congress. It turned out to be nothing.

NASA needs funding again. So, right of cue new findings emerge. Coincidence?

• Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

It's a strong possibility as Mars was hit with the same space debris as earth over millions of years and they have found in metors the basic building blocks for life .

• Simon
    Simon
    It's a strong possibility as Mars was hit with the same space debris as earth over millions of years

Ah, the old "it must have come from outer space" theory.

... which never explains where that life originated, or how it came to be hurtling through space or manage to survive the impact with a planet.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I do know this-

Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids

In fact it's cold as hell

And there's no one there to raise them

If you did

But seriously, I strongly believe in the Primordial soup, or prebiotic soup theory. Not necessarily the proposed theory of 1929 published by J.B.S Haldane where he argued that UV radiation provided the energy to convert methane, ammonia and water into the first organic compounds in the oceans of the early earth. Perhaps a better understanding of science such as the proposed idea that gases came from deep-sea hydrothermal vents, or perhaps something else that we haven't figured out yet.

It is unclear whether the conditions to create life could be common to the universe or unique to Earth. People want to believe that since mankind's science cannot yet reproduce the spark of life that it is a false theory or extremely rare. But I say we are in the infancy of our understanding, and we know that "the God of the gaps" keeps shrinking. So maybe we will figure it out one day. And for all we know, life has started more than once on Earth but the dominant life already present has "eaten" it up.

I further believe that with so many stars and so much potential out there, life has started somewhere else, probably more than a few times. But is it primitive, plant, microscopic, developed??? I dunno.

If life did exist at all on Mars, we have seen that life on Earth has clung to the most impossible environments, so I would bet that it's still there somewhere under some rock.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

According to Edgar Rice Burroughs their is ,John Carter / Dejah Thoris and their experiences were well documented by him.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Here's the photo which really got my interest:

Mushrooms on Mars: Do These Images Show Proof of Life on Mars?

The one that looks like a double puffball. I don't know what it is. With my frame of reference I would say it looks organic. It's certainly doesn't look like rock formation.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids

In fact it's cold as hell - Mars has four seasons which last twice as long as our seasons on Earth. Mars also has polar and equatorial regions.

Yes, Mars is on average colder than Earth but Martian temperatures vary from 35 Celcius at the height of summer to -150 Celcius in winter at the poles.

Obviously no animals could live on Mars.

But what about fungi, plants, bacteria or similar?

It's a fascinating question that's well worth exploring.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW
    Based upon the science articles and books I have read I believe there is microscopic life of some kind (maybe bacteria or something like it, fungi, and/or a taxonomic kingdom that doesn't exist on Earth) on Mars, more than five decimeters below the surface in some areas and/or in a cave (if Mars has caves).
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

The Mars questions are intriguing. Is there life or not? Goodness knows. I guess we will eventually find out. Until then, I pledge allegiance to our Martian overlords.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit