Does anyone under the age of 25 know what KFC stands for? (What about WT or JW?)

by stuckinarut2 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

As we have seen, the society has so smoothly rolled out the rebranding of the organization in just a few short years!

(In fact, I remember a thread post here a few years back, where it was mentioned that all halls are going to get the JW.ORG signs on them. It was initially laughed off and doubted) https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/279409/jw-org-signs-put-on-all-kingdom-halls-new-directive

Yes, the GB have removed all signs saying "Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses" and "Watchtower" and watchtower logos from every location.

Just this week a parent in our community said that his daughter had no ide what KFC stood for! She laughed at him for saying "Kentucky Fried Chicken". She is mid-teens in age.

So will the next generation (overlapping generation sorry) of witnesses and non-witnesses even know about the society's previous names?

• cookiemaster
    cookiemaster

I'm 24, from Romania, and I know what KFC stands for. You make a very good point however. The more they rebrand, they further away they move from their previous names and identity, which means that fewer people will find out about their history and past transgressions.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i could never understand why the meeting places were called " Kingdom halls ". is that phrase mentioned in the bible ?

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

If there are any next gen witnesses that stick around they most likely won't even care about actual old school full words and titles their whole language will consist of letters, abbreviatons, substitute words etc. It will bye bye english as we knew it as WT seems to be getting right on board with the language reduction thing.

• Chook
    Chook

The whole internet thing has crucified the WT , first they didn't register Jehovah's Witness.com and secondly they discouraged the brothers from posting any Jw literature online and threatened copyright laws. So apart from Jw.org nearly all other sites on google that mention Jehovah's Witness are of apostate origins.

As for abbreviations JWs have always loved them , remember PO , DO, RV , MS . As for young ones they are clueless to doctrinal and the politics of church structure. As humans we love shortening names, I chose my children names with one criteria, that they couldn't be shortened. A lot of country names get abbreviated US, NZ , OZ , PNG ect ect.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

It's all about coming up with branding and marketing solutions. It's tough marketing Jehovah these days...

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

As for abbreviations JWs have always loved them

Whenever some self-important asshat refers oh so smugly to the C.O...I interrupt them and with my best puzzled tone of voice ask, "How long have JW's had a Commanding Officer?"

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

When and where have they been removing the name?

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

My kids and their cousins get called by their abbreviated names such as Ja,Da,A,Ra,and beH,and Jo .

An uncle started it and it just caught on with the rest of the family.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Stuckinarut2:

Interesting question. Jehovah's Witnesses almost pride themselves on the constant re-naming/rebranding of their religion. I have heard it stated on multiple occasions from the platform that they often consider this a safeguard. They will use this practice as a means to test those who are unknown to them and claim to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses as to whether or not they are active.

Case in point - I left before the new title "Congregation Overseer of the Body of Elders" was given to the congregation Presiding Overseers. If I walked into the local Kingdom Hall claiming I was from another congregation I might be asked "Who is you COBE (literally spoken as the initials or even pronounced "Ko-Be")? To which I would have to ask, "What is that?" In turn I would be dismissed as a non-Witness or an inactive Witness who hasn't kept up with "God's celestial chariot."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit