A Moderate Tendency Towards Narcissism.

by Englishman 31 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

That Dr. Sam sure is working it in the irony dept.! Could all of his writings on narcissism actually be the worlds most subtle joke?

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi E-Man: Most interesting test. The only objection I have to these types of tests are the definitive "Yes or No" questions. Some issues need a self degree rating, or a neutral rating. But, they asked enough questions at the neutral and extremes to be helpful. Mine showed "Low" in all categories, which I guess means that I am suffering from any disorder ... I HOPE ... because I already have enough trouble:

Jim W.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Disorder | Rating
    Paranoid: Low
    Schizoid: Low
    Schizotypal: Low
    Antisocial: Low
    Borderline: Low
    Histrionic: Moderate
    Narcissistic: Moderate
    Avoidant: Low
    Dependent: Moderate
    Obsessive-Compulsive: Low

Hmmmmm, and all this time I thought I was a practicing antisocial. And maybe a little schizoid too.

Walter

• Undecided
    Undecided

Don't know if this is true or not, but here are the results:

Disorder | Rating
    Schizoid: Low
    Antisocial: Moderate
    Histrionic: Low
    Narcissistic: Moderate
    Dependent: Low

I didn't know what being narcissistic meant. I guess I am to a degree.(Moderate)

Ken P.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Disorder Rating Information
    Paranoid: Moderate click for info
    Schizoid: Moderate click for info
    Schizotypal: Moderate click for info
    Antisocial: Low click for info
    Borderline: Low click for info
    Histrionic: Low click for info
    Narcissistic: Low click for info
    Avoidant: Low click for info
    Dependent: Low click for info
    Obsessive-Compulsive: Moderate click for info
  • tink
    tink

i must have done something wrong. i had to have!!!! jesus, off to find myself a therapist....or maybe just retake it

Disorder RatingInformation
    Paranoid: Very Highclick for info
    Schizoid: Highclick for info
    Schizotypal: Very Highclick for info
    Antisocial: Highclick for info
    Borderline: Very Highclick for info
    Histrionic: Highclick for info
    Narcissistic: Highclick for info
    Avoidant: Highclick for info
    Dependent: Highclick for info
    Obsessive-Compulsive: High
  • Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

OK the truth comes out

Disorder | Rating
    Schizoid: Moderate
    Antisocial: Low
    Histrionic: Low
    Narcissistic: Low
    Dependent: Low

Schizoid
    People with schizoid personality disorder avoid relationships and do not show much emotion. They genuinely prefer to be alone and do not secretly wish for popularity. They tend to seek jobs that require little social contact. Their social skills are often weak and they do not show a need for attention or acceptance. They are perceived as humorless and distant and often are termed "loners."

Hmmmmmmmm I think I could be in trouble if I believed this

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

The problem with this test is that at least some of the questions are loaded. For instance:

Do you have a hard time throwing things away, even if they are old and worn out? They're asking if you have three hundred empty mayonnaise jars and a six-foot ball of twine, not whether you hate cleaning the garage.

Have you ever exaggerated illness or other weakness in order to get attention? This means, "Do you have hypochondria/Munchausen syndrome?" not "Did you call in sick when you really needed to get away from your psycho boss for a day?"

Have others accused you of being arrogant? They mean "everybody," not "one hypersensitive person."

Are you quiet in social situations, often out of fear of saying something stupid? Well, yes. If I've never been there before. If I don't know anybody. Aren't you?

In short, we're all prob'ly healthier than this test would have us believe.

My results are below. I believe the Avoidant flag, but I'm skeptical about the Narcissist thing.

GentlyFeral (results below)

RatingInformation
    Paranoid: Lowclick for info
    Schizoid: Lowclick for info
    Schizotypal: Lowclick for info
    Antisocial: Lowclick for info
    Borderline: Lowclick for info
    Histrionic: Lowclick for info
    Narcissistic: Moderateclick for info
    Avoidant: Highclick for info
    Dependent: Lowclick for info
    Obsessive-Compulsive: Moderateclick for info
  • abbagail
    abbagail

I agree about the questions being a little tricky in that you cannot really answer a flat 'yes' or 'no' to a lot of them. One part of the question may feel 'true' but the second half of the question may feel 'false.' Also, some things may have applied at a different time in your life but not at present, etc.

For instance, one of the questions asked about having trouble concentraing. Well, yes! ADD. But if you answer 'yes' to that, they put you in the schizotypal category which none of that applies (to me) except the lack of concentration when reading a book, organizing things, etc. Also, schizoid says "humorless" which I know darn good and well is not true (for me). :-D

So here's the deal. Since 'most' people know themselves pretty good, take the test once so it gets you to the explanation page. Then read those explanations and you can pretty much tell from the explanations (v. the questions) what applies and what doesn't.

So I took the test a second time: 'low' on everything except the last three: Moderate on Avoidant, Dependent, and OCD (which is exactly all true, can't deny it!)

And did anyone take their "Dante's Inferno" test? heehee, that was a hoot!
    http://www.4degreez.com/misc/dante-inferno-test.mv
    Dante's Inferno Test - You Have Been Judged Your fate has been decided
    (it tells you whether you will end up in limbo, purgatory, hell, etc. lol, it's funny and spooky at the same time!) Dante's Inferno Hell Test is based on Dante's Divine Comedy, written in the early 1300s by Dante Alighieri

Grits

• abbagail
    abbagail

SixofNine: I dunno about Dr. Sam playing a joke... I read a ton of that stuff and he explains in several places about his own tortured life with narcissism in quite frank language. I could be wrong, but I really don't think he's joking. Check out his article: "I Love to be Hated" http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/npd/43815

---------------------------

For all of us with pd's (personality disorders), we can always 'blame it on our mothers' per this little 'test' from one of the Dr. Sam Vaknin webpages:

----------------------------

This excerpted from:

The Narcissist's Mother

By: Dr. Sam Vaknin
    http://samvak.tripod.com/faq64.html

A matrix of possible axes of interaction between child and mother can be constructed.

The Mother can be:
    * Accepting ("good enough");

* Domineering;

* Doting/Smothering;

* Indifferent;

* Rejecting;

* Abusive.

The Child can be:
    * Attracted;

* Repelled (due to unjust mistreatment, for instance).

How to read this table:
    The first term in each of these equations of interaction describes the child, the second the mother.

Example: Attraction ? Attraction/Accepting means that the child is attracted to his mother, his mother is attracted to him and she is a Winnicottean "good enough" (accepting) mother.

The possible axes are:

Child / Mother

1. Attraction ? Attraction/Accepting

(Healthy axis, leads to self-love)

2. Attraction ? Attraction/Domineering

(Could lead to personality disorders such as avoidant, or schizoid, or to social phobia, etc.)

3. Attraction ? Attraction/Doting or Smothering

(Could lead to Cluster B Personality Disorders)

4. Attraction ? Repulsion/Indifferent

[passive-aggressive, frustrating]

(Could lead to narcissism, Cluster B disorders)

5. Attraction ? Repulsion/Rejecting

(Could lead to personality disorders such as paranoid, borderline, etc.)

6. Attraction ? Repulsion/Abusive

(Could lead to DID, ADHD, NPD, BPD, AHD, AsPD, PPD, etc.)

7. Repulsion ? Repulsion/Indifferent

(Could lead to avoidant, schizoid, paranoid, etc. PDs)

8. Repulsion ? Repulsion/Rejecting

(Could lead to personality, mood, anxiety disorders and to impulsive behaviours, such as eating disorders)

9. Repulsion ? Attraction/Accepting

(Could lead to unresolved Oedipal conflicts and to neuroses)

10. Repulsion ? Attraction/Domineering

(Could have the same results as axis 6: DID, ADHD, NPD, BPD, AHD, AsPD, PPD, etc.)

11. Repulsion ? Attraction/Doting

(Could have the same results as axis 9: unresolved Oedipal conflicts and to neuroses)

This, of course, is a very rough draft-matrix. Many of the axes can be combined to yield more complex clinical pictures.

It provides an initial, coarse, map of the possible interactions between the PO (Primary Object, the child) and the SO (Secondary Object, the mother) in early childhood and the unsavoury results of bad objects internalised.

-------------------------------------

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit