Reasons for doubting.

by New day 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• New day
    New day

Somebody mentioned in a recent topic that they had a conversation with a former elder whose breaking point was when the overlapping generation was highlighted in recent times and how he would never serve again until somebody gave him a scriptural reason to believe it. I am in a similar position. I have gone in the last 18 months from taking the Wt study, leading fs groups, and doing talks on the mtngs to doing almost nothing, as I resigned a little over a year ago as an elder due to a combination of family responsibilities and huge doubts. The recent money grab and obey at all costs instructions have assured me that I did the right thing.

• Sabin
    Sabin

Hey, then I guess it's a New Day for you, sorry couldn't help myself. Your not alone, & yes you did the right thing. Although some times you doubt yourself a?

I think ones like you who have been given so called privileges within the cong are very brave, you must feel an over whelming sense of responsibility to other members. I take my hat off to those who have been elders/ms/missionaries etc, it cannot be so easy for you to fade like the rest of us.

Thank you for sharing

• elderINewton
    elderINewton

I can't help but think that the hero complex is what delusioned so many elders. The hero being the GB, then with the video's we now see what you can't ignore, and it saddens so many elders who are lacking the superiority complexes. What it has done is magnify the doubts. These men were on pedestals and could do no wrong, now you see them on TV as men, and the mistakes manifest themselves quickly.

I saw it in the elder body I was part of this year that the GB themselves are making it worse not better. Especially after AMIII tight pants talk last year.

I left quite simply after I said I would never do what they asked with regards to a child abuse case. Some lines can't be crossed. Like you I see that it was clearly the correct decision, and that my conscience is much cleaner now that the WT is not leading my family and I down a hole they would have further difficulty going down.

To those that have stepped down and remained in the congregation, I applaud your first step of a difficult journey. Just don't let doubts be your first and last step.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I think you did the right thing. My situation was sort of like yours. I think the fact that you have doubts and recognize the apparent wrongness of the money grab shows you are honest and are a thinker, unlike a lot of JWs.

Actually, it was the 1995 "generation" change that led me to begin realizing that the org was just guessing. This latest generation teaching is just ludicrous.

There are a lot of reasons for doubt. Another big one for me is the disaster relief scam. The org makes money on the use of free labor (receives insurance checks), yet brags as if it's sacrificing to help disaster victims.

Now I keenly watch the situaiton in JWdom to see what will develop.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The 1995 generation switch was what triggered my doubting. More than ever before my doubts have been magnified with this ludicrous ''overlap'' doctrine. Along with all this money-grubbing of late is something which cannot be overlooked!!!

Since when does God keep asking for money hand over fist??

• Sabin
    Sabin
    New Day, Elder Newton, Magnum, you were all elders yes? I'm a woman so I have a different side of the coin to look at, when a bro has responsibilities & he leaves peoples reaction to that is "he did this & he did that, & HE WAS AN ELDER". Was you aware of that when you walked? Did it make it harder on you as all eyes on the cong were on you? Only when someone who is a no-one in the cong starts to fade no -one notices anyway. It makes it easier I would of thought. Or maybe cause of who you were they were afraid to say something to you. I'm just interested in your opinions as I never really gave it much thought until I read this post.
  • elderINewton
    elderINewton

Sabin,

it has ruffled a few feathers to say the least. The most surprising reaction was "in" family over the friends. In some cases I know it has caused many to gossip and wonder, as I've only told some tiny bits to those "in" family whom I thought could handle it (they couldn't).

Walking away was easier than I thought, at the time I had the protection of every child on my mind. As I said to my wife that if anyone has a problem with me wanting to protect children over a bunch of pedo's and thinks I'm crazy, then how in Gods name can this not be a cult.

I think its different when its a line that has to be crossed over a doctrine difference. The can be the same, but its not typical.

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

I am no longer a believer in anything unless I experience proof. Whimsical ideas don't do it for me no more, no matter how peace-loving and god-seeking I am.

• Sabin
    Sabin

Elder newton, I'm glad you walked, shows you have morals. The child abuse issues are I think the biggest reason for most. I can see how it is for some-one to be DF (I've been there) & say (as I did) I knew I shouldn't of had that shag, you know take the responsibility cause they knew it was against the rules. Like getting sacked cause you stole (not me) something. But blatantly protecting pedo's with the fact's that now prove it, that is something else entirely. To me it is simple

Mark 2:9, which is it easier for me to say "your sins are forgiven, or Get up pick up your cot & walk".

So Elder newton, what is it easier for us to say, "I don't believe this is Gods organization, or I don't believe God would approve of protecting child molesters". it's the same thing is it not.

• Half banana
    Half banana
    Congratulations New Day on being able to see the real light of day which does not shine on the Watchtower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit