Does "Hanlon's Razor" apply to the Governing Body?
I recently learned of the term "Hanlon's Razor".
Wikipedia defines it as:
Hanlon's razor is an aphorism expressed in various ways including "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." It recommends a way of eliminating unlikely explanations for a phenomenon (a philosophical razor).
So could it be said that this applies to the GB / Society ?
Are the GB just simply deluded, and genuinely believe their own teachings and claims? Or could it be said that they don't really think they are God's sole channel on earth, but have inherited a huge religious entity tand body of teachings that they have to take control of and propagate?
I strongly agree. When they speak of "The Faithful and Discreet Slave" in the third person I don't think they are being entirely disingenuous. All of them think that somebody else is in control and the reality is that none of them have the balls or the intelligence to assume responsibility for the craziness they have inherited.
Having said that, I do believe they knowingly resort to malicious lying and deception in order to protect the organisation.
Good point cofty!
I checked the Wikipedia and what it has now for definition is a picture of Donald Trump.
Made me laugh out loud with that one
I personally believe that they know full well what they are doing but they give themselves permission to do it based on their perceived efforts and the sacrifices they have endured for the Kingdom
Is not uncommon for people who stay in power for this long to begin giving themselves this type of privilege
JWs do, to some level, teach that God will bless your efforts and that those blessing can be spiritual as well as material. Just refer to some of the stories given at assemblies, where people who gave up jobs and other things to attend assemblies. In many cases they later on get rewarded for their sacrifice. They probably feel no one has done more and that is why the holy spirit has put them in that place.
Scratchme, you lie about the photo. Was that out of malice or should it be attributed to stupidity?
Why is there so much hatred for DT here?
- Occam's razor: When faced with competing hypotheses, select the one that makes the fewest assumptions and is thus most open to being tested. Do not multiply entities without necessity.
- Grice's razor: As a principle of parsimony, conversational implications are to be preferred over semantic context for linguistic explanations.
- Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
- Hume's razor: "If the cause, assigned for any effect, be not sufficient to produce it, we must either reject that cause, or add to it such qualities as will give it a just proportion to the effect."
- Hitchens' razor: "What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence."
- Alder's razor: Also known as "Newton's flaming laser sword", it states that if something cannot be settled by experiment or observation then it is not worthy of debate.
- Popper's falsifiability principle: For a theory to be considered scientific, it must be falsifiable.
- Rand's razor: concepts are not to be multiplied beyond necessity—the corollary of which is: nor are they to be integrated in disregard of necessity.
Based on the GB members that I have met and with whom I have had conversations, I think they are true believers (at least the ones I met 20 years ago were). I also base that on the fact that, as an elder for many years, I was a true believer and I lived it! I bought it ALL! "Hook, line, and sinker." I sincerely believed I saw evidence of some "hocus-pocus" divine direction in the making of decisions. It was a rude awakening to discover TTATT. It was a life changing moment when I finally become convinced I had been a fool.
Although I'd like think DELUSION is more accurate than STUPIDITY. (At least I hope so.)
When you consider the various lies that have come out of various GB members as well as helpers (not to mention the GB approved publications), coupled with the many tactics and techniques of propaganda, brainwashing and control, the answer becomes obvious.
Stupidity does not adequately explain what's happening in the org.
"Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by a$$holism"