2005 Big Announcement (Disappointment)

by Fred Franztone 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Fred Franztone
    Fred Franztone

I remember around 2005, there was an announcement made from the platform that in a few weeks time we would have to remain at the end of the Sunday meeting for a BIG announcement, directly from the society.

I remember all the murmuring, people thought maybe this was going to be related to Armageddon. Everyone was excited, people were speculating. Only the PO in each congregation had any idea what was going on, and they were frequently pestered for information, but sworn to secrecy, which only hyped things up even more.

Then the meeting came, anticipation was in the air, the announcement started, you could hear a pin drop. The PO began reading a letter, and after about 20 seconds of babble he held up a green book and said the WTS is pleased to announce the release of its new book for publishers.

The disappointment was so strong that you could almost feel half of the congregation turn apostate on the spot (not for long unfortunately).

I remember that being the day when I began to realise that this really was just a publishing company, releasing books for 'publishers' to read, and books for them to peddle.

I never looked back. Does anyone else remember this?

• sir82
    sir82

That was the new "Organized" book, right?

You have to remember, the WTS redefines words to suit its purposes.

For example, anything with "special" preceding it: special campaign, special assembly, special meeting, special announcement, etc.

For 99.9% of the earth's population, "special" means "extraordinary; exciting; beyond expectations".

For JWs, however, "special" has come to mean "exactly, and we mean EXACTLY, the same tired, boring, insipid and illogical claptrap we've been peddling for 140 years now."

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Has it been that long ago already?

Yes, I remember that well. I was gone that Sunday, building what turned into a profitable business. I was told in no uncertain terms that I could NOT have the new book, as it was released to those appreciative enough to be in attendance that morning. I had to wait. I am still "waiting". HAHAHAHA

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

I have come across such announcements quite a few times. Cant remember the 2005 incident

Dubs would be pretty excited hoping its an Armageddon thing. My wife would be super Excited.

After the announcement is made, as usual, the dubs would water down

Oh, what a deluding cult.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Ironically i do remember and remember not being disapointed. Not because it was exciting but because i didnt expect anything special. As steve (and others) have mentioned, special never is when it comes to jw land and i guess i had already accepted that. The last “special” announcment i got excited for was the one that marked a changed to donations for publications. I was a young teenager and didnt know anybetter. That one did seem exciting at the time....

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

99.9% of the earth's population, "special" means "extraordinary; exciting; beyond expectations".

Not necessarily. Special at school referred to those who needed extra help with learning. And "special needs" at the conventions mean the disabled, sick, and infirm.

Maybe a WT "special announcement" falls into these categories as well.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

all the congregation excitedly anticipating some sort of announcement that the rest of mankind was about to be killed off. there are a lot of very sick christians in the watchtower society.

• Chocho
    Chocho

My jw brothers and sisters, I really love u all... Please let not give up cos the world is coming to end... For the new Paradise.. Let's keep doing the assignment given to us by Jesus Christ... Jehovah will strengthen us all...

• Fred Franztone
  • NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I was out by 2005 so I missed this very special event. But your description was, I am sure, spot on.

A similar event happened in 1987 when they had a special announcement and reading of an official letter in response to the 1987 year of International Peace. We were told in advance of the special letter. After reading the letter they passed out a copy of the Peace and Security book. What an f&(^ing let down.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit