Marry Only in the Lord

by Rattigan350 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Last night at the meeting, a local needs talk preempted the regularly scheduled part. An elder who is the most Society following elder talked about loving God and then he talked about Bible principles such as marry only in the Lord. He talked of Deut. Then Paul's scriptures. Then it was mentioned that this is a marking talk.

What floored me was when he said that there is a baptized Witnesses after repeated counsel from the elders is continuing to date a non-witness with marriage as a goal. That starts so much gossip. Who is it? S/he is smart, wanting to get a non-judgmental person that wants to make something of him/herself.

The reason that this is a cult.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Wow, so he actually said this was a "marking" talk?

That is not supposed to happen nowadays

• rebel8
    rebel8

Good, I am glad they are sticking to their old school cult ways--otherwise, people become indifferent to its danger.

Back when I was in, they did that all the time and the marked person almost always permanently left.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

RATTIGAN:

So, they're still going on about this marry only in the Lord thing?

You don't say if it's a woman but it probably is. There are a surplus of women if a brother is really looking. This is not to say a brother won't look outside, but it's less likely.

There are next to zero marriage prospects there for any woman over 30 - even goodlooking women. She has to look outside. The religion frowns on this because it knows once a woman is married the nervy elders can't readily go up to her like before to ask her to do favors. They don't give a shit if a single woman is lonely or poor. No, they couldn't care if she took her next breath - just as long as she's not looking for a man outside.

If the demographics were reversed and there were more men than women, there would be different rules and they'd find a more appropriate scripture to back up what their hearts want.

• Divergent
    Divergent

Their interpretation of this scripture is totally illogical and I have posted a clear arguement against it previously —

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5170112325746688/todays-text-marry-only-lord

• smiddy
    smiddy

The more cultish things they say the better I like it .

Maybe more people will wake up to it. and exit stage left.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I never witnessed (no pun intended) where the openly stated.

* it was a marking talk

* the reason for it.

Usually they just give a talk and the gossip mill narrows it down to one person.

• zeb
    zeb

so his offspring are already married eh?

• Researchedandenlightened
    Researchedandenlightened

I was given the same counsel " marry only in the lord" at 21 whilst dating my Jw raised girlfriend (not baptised, i was) told the two elders to stick it and walked away .....just celebrated our Silver wedding anniversary so what do builders/welders/window cleaning men in suits know about guidance for marriage .....one of the elders who counseled me ran off with the circuit overseers wife lol ! do what your heart tells you in life NOT what jumped up pricks who think they can dictate how to live your life

• snowbird
    snowbird

You make some good points in your argument, Divergent.

WT just needs to give it up and bow out gracefully.

Sylvia​

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit