Tonight’s meeting

by lastmanstanding 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

This post is for the lurking dub. The PIMC (physically in, mentally confused) lurker dub. The guy who reads the Watchtower stuff and scratches his head, sure something is amiss but not sure of what’s really happening.

It may also be of some interest to those curious of the nuts and bolts of Watchtower’s methods of scripture twisting.

In tonight’s “Digging for Spiritual Gems: (8 min.)”, there is a point that demonstrates that the dubs in the pew are totally and completely devoid of reason. They are mentally asleep. This can be seen by the Watchtower’s commentary, as well as the comments of the dubs, including by chance our CO.

They pride themselves as being learned in the Scriptures and being teachers of it, yet they understand nothing.

The “gem” is as follows.

Lu 9:49, 50​—Why did Jesus not prevent a man from expelling demons, even though the man was not following him? (w08 3/15 31 ¶2)

The biblical text under consideration from the “gem” is as follows, taken from the NWT.

49 In response John said: “Instructor, we saw someone expelling demons by using your name, and we tried to prevent him, because he is not following with us.”

50 But Jesus said to him: “Do not try to prevent him, for whoever is not against you is for you.”

Why indeed did Jesus not stop the man? Conversely, it could also be asked ‘why would he want to?’

I’ve included at bottom the Watchtower’s explanation, but I will summarize to save readers the trouble of reading it. The Watchtower says, in summary, that Jesus didn’t stop him because there was no congregation yet, the inference being that there was no Organization yet to tell him what he could or couldn’t do.

First, the fact is that the Bible verse quoted shows clearly the real reason why Jesus told his followers not to interfere with the man. Jesus set the principle “...whoever is not against you is for you.” Very simple.

And the disciples who tried to stop the man weren’t using their brains.

The man, if he was proving successful, obviously had the blessing of God Almighty. The Holy Spirit is not a talisman that one would pick up on the street, pass a string through and tie around one’s neck, then illegitimately use.

It is the finger of God. If it did anything, it was because God intended it to be so.

Why, in fact, would you desire to stop somebody from working towards the same goal that you work for? Only pride, thinking that “we haven’t given him OUR permission to do this work.” This prideful attitude was the very same reason the Jewish leaders hated Jesus, -Jesus didn’t seek their permission. As if He needed it. As if God, and the Holy Spirit needed a man’s permission to work miracles.

The CO chimed in with the mantra... “we see order, order, order and organization” and where the actual words attributed to Jesus teach that there is no need for an ‘Organization’ of any sort, The Watchtower text turns it into the complete opposite, even more thoroughly with the help of an Uber Elder or CO.

Thick as a brick.

(w08 3/15 31 ¶2)

9:49, 50—Why did Jesus not prevent a man from expelling demons, even though the man was not following him? Jesus did not prevent the man because the Christian congregation had not yet been formed. Hence, it was not required that the man physically accompany Jesus in order to exercise faith in Jesus’ name and expel demons.—Mark 9:38-40.Lessons for Us:1:32, 33; 2:19, 51. Mary preserved in her heart the events and sayings that fulfilled prophecies. Do we treasure

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

I wanted to down vote it, only because of what the WT said.

So the WT is really saying that if the congregation had been formed, Jesus would have condemned him?

The disciples were sent off by Jesus to preach and came back telling him of casting out demons in his name. And Jesus exclaimed that he saw Satan falling from the heavens.

17The seventy-two returned with joy and said, “Lord, even the demons submit to us in Your name.” 18So He said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. 19See, I have given you authority to tread on snakes and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy. Nothing will harm you.

So Jesus didn't have to have a congregation in order for his disciples to perform miracles.

The WT sounds just like the pharisees indeed. No one can do any good unless the GB says you can.

• waton
    waton

Yea, wt does not like competition, and would stop it if they could, but Jesus said no! anybody working in the right direction is working in the right direction, directed or not.

wt has to explain that away. plainly.

• sillygirlforgotpassword
    sillygirlforgotpassword

Extreme presumptious Pharisaic attitude from those they claim to be Christian. And what simplistic thinking - because the cong wasn’t formed yet?!!

Thank you for pointing this out last man!

• freddo
    freddo

Excellent synopsis LMS. I always found this lame explanation troublesome.

And PIMC - we have a new and brilliant acronym. So accurate for many at the KH

• SadElder
    SadElder

"Evidently" Jesus spoke to the GB about this, "likely" while they were asleep.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@freddo Wish we could change Confused to Perplexed. Yep... this post goes out to all the P.I.M.P.s out there. Holla back if you feelin' @lastmanstanding's post.

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

Days of future past. I posted and went to bed, and as I dozed off, I thought about the 70. I thought ‘yeah, I should have mentioned that’... good job!

Waton and silly girl, you are right on the money.

sadelder, luv ur sarc.

wakeme, it works. I was PIMP from before I was baptized until I contacted Ray Franz. His books took me from PIMP to SCAB. (So Called Apostate Brother)

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    49 In response John said: “Instructor, we saw someone expelling demons by using your name, and we tried to prevent him, because he is not following with us.”
    50 But Jesus said to him: “Do not try to prevent him, for whoever is not against you is for you.”

I think 50 is a misinterpretation.....here is what I believe it should say...

But Jesus said to him: "That would be presumptuous of us. Just like my leader and true GOD, Geoff Jackson (peace be unto him), will say in a couple of thousand years time."

• Perry
    Perry
    because the Christian congregation had not yet been formed.

The WT has never been able to get it through their self-inflated egos that Jesus Christ doesn't need them. They have done everything they possibly can to muscle in on the authority of the King of Kings to "help" run his business.

The reality is that hundreds of thousands of locally run churches and ministries operate just fine using only the bible (and especially the NT) as their ONLY authority.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit