Lurkers: A truth is either true, or it isn't. There is no in between.

by cappytan 35 Replies latest jw friends

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence
    C'mon. There's no such thing as "black and white" in the org!
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Or ''Us vs. them'' mentality. That's go to be very tiring, your whole life hearing that. It was for me.
  • Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

Truth is the label we apply to claims that match reality. Therefore, a claim is either true or it's not true.

Just because certain terms are conditional or relative (such as words like "tall" or "good") doesn't mean that the truth is nebulous. It just means we have to specifically know what is meant when someone says "tall" or "good" before we can asses whether or not their claim matches reality.

Words don't have intrinsic meanings. They have usages.
    -Matt Dillahunty

As a side note - mathematics in and of itself is never true or false. As an abstraction, it can only ever be accurate or inaccurate just like claims about the force in Star Wars could only ever be accurate or inaccurate. In order for mathematics to be true or false it has to be in relation to something in the real world. For example, if I take these two oranges and put them with those two oranges then I will have a total four oranges - would be true. But 2+2=4 isn't true - it's accurate.

• coalize
    coalize
    Yes coded logic. But the point was on the "absolute truth"
  • Butyoucanneverleave
    Butyoucanneverleave
    They don't care about the truth. They only care what they tell you the truth is. We once had a elder hold up his bible and say if the GB tells me this bible is purple then this bible is purple. SMH! But thank you mr. Elder man. That was one of the nails in the coffin!
  • Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    But the point was on the "absolute truth"

I don't follow you. Can you explain the difference between (regular) truth and "absolute" truth?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit