Lurkers: A truth is either true, or it isn't. There is no in between.

by cappytan 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    The ''Truth'' should never change, flip flop. If it is ''True''.
  • kairos
    kairos
    "Millions now living will never die"...
  • Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

About the absoluteness of truth: many people are mixing 'a truth' and 'an opinion': most people state their opinions as if their were facts, and thus truths.

E.g. 'this is beautiful' sounds like a facts and a truth, but really means 'This is beautiful to me'.

Truth is absolute in the sense that it does not change depending on who is talking. Opinions do change depending on who is talking.

If someone does not agree with an opinion, both parties are (or may be) right. Opinions should never be forced on someone.

If someone disagrees with a truth, they are plain wrong.

• God exists.
    • FDS is all anointed.
    • God disapproves of organ transplants

These are absolute in that they are either true or a false. The facts do not change based on who is talking (but the opinion about it does change).

So if someone changes their opinion on the truthfulness of these statements, they are either wrong now, or before, or both. The real truth of these statements never changed though.

• talesin
    talesin

The danger in absolute thinking is this: current conventional wisdom, or 'truth', may be proven to be wrong. (eg, flat earth, inferiority of races). I think that, purely speaking, it's okay to ask "Can truth ever be absolute?" But as someone said, there is no need to be pedantic (I *so* agree, haha, and not just for this thread). And lest we verge on the edge of a (horror of horrors!) philosophical debate ...

For the sake of argument, with respect to the OP, and with common sense in mind, why not agree that there are certain 'truths' that most people can accept as infallible. EG, the sun will rise, death is a certainty, gods are human constructs, etc.

Let's enjoy a valuable discussion, and refrain from getting bogged down with semantics.

I think, AA, this is a good point.

Truth is absolute in the sense that it does not change depending on who is talking. Opinions do change depending on who is talking.

Truth should not be subjective.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Is it true the Sun rises in the East and sets in the West ? An apparent truth .

In reality the Sun appears to rise in the East and set in the West . An absolute truth .

Genesis Ch.1 ; 16 , The greater luminary for day and the lesser luminary for night ., obviously refferring to the Sun and the Moon .

Fair enough the Sun does appear to rise every morning and set every evening.

However the Moon is a different kettle of fish , why ? Because of it`s orbit around the earth their are nights it does not appear in the night sky at all , it appears on the other side of the globe in the day time.

So there are days when the moon appears exclusively in the daytime , not appearing at all in the nighttime .and vice versa , depending where you live on earth.

So is Gen.Ch :1 -16 an absolute truth ? or an apparent truth , or is it just a fable..

smiddy

• talesin
    talesin
    Phew! Glad I only mentioned the sun! : D

To tell the truth, couldn't help but think of the Hemingway tome, The Sun Also Rises. Why do men always wince when I bring up that book? :confused:
  • coalize
    coalize

Yep. Good point! But I think we must to restrain a little this point to be totally accurate:

Truth is absolute in the sense that it does not change depending on who is talking and from where perspective he's talking.

• nelim
    nelim
    Indeed. JWs regularly use the term "being in the truth". To the lurkers: think about this for a while, don't you agree it sounds silly? Yet this phrase is so engrained in the mind it's hard to get rid of. Takes a long time. The word "truth" is so emotionally overloaded... Actually within context of the organisation it doesn't really have any meaning. It just means you agree with and follow the Watchtower's lead.
  • punkofnice
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Reminds me of the quote from CT Russell :

A truth or fact is a truth no matter who it is presented from. Even if Satan himself presented a truth, it does not cease being True.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit