New and improved?

by tenyearsafter 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hellothere
    Hellothere
    Ok. If organisation has become more loving and less judgemental, why is Tony Morris still a GB member and haven't been kicked out yet? Answer that.
  • TonusOH
    TonusOH

Over the years I have gotten the impression that they've eased off a bit. I think they are trying to find a workable middle-ground, a way to keep people invested in the "final days" narrative without being so harsh that they leave, especially as more time passes and the "last day" continues to not arrive.

I'm curious how the current GB will handle things. Will they try to keep a hard line on the "last day" stuff, figuring that their own lives are almost at an end anyway? Or will they begin to look for ways to keep the religion viable while easing off on the "any second now" approach that will eventually drain away the membership? I feel like they're at a crossroads, because it's not as easy to hide the ugly stuff anymore.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Come to think about it, they haven't eased off on asking for donations!!!!

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

if i apply to be reinstated--will i have to give up atheism ? Its kinda easy that way. Like being one of Jehovah.s Unwitnesses.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    HT - If organisation has become more loving and less judgemental, why is Tony Morris still a GB member and haven't been kicked out yet?

This!

Your family member is a bit starry eyed I'm sorry to say. I'd like to see the evidence of this.

JWs and Love are not two things I associate with each other. If there is love, then why do they protect paedophiles?

Love in the Organisation(tm) = Oxymoron.

• LV101
    LV101

LHG -- I sign up/attend when you do -- make sure you don't quit your full-time, enjoyable, retirement w/part time jobs because we clearly know we need every second of our lives to dedicate/be adequately approved/accepted and invited to the 'real' heart of the congregations' parties. That's how it was 'splained to me -- bond w/the cong's 'in crowd' girl! Gag me -- trust me when gifts are part of the equation the invites are overwhelming in this neck of the woods or if there's a mate in the picture. If not, there's plenty of rent-a-thugs around and we're all set in that arena. Lots of no thank you re/invites before -- I had a social on the run life and I'd never follow etiquette again and send gifts. After all, Hallmark cards say it all, right! I was robbed, snobbed, jobbed - it's a big club, sista.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Thanks for the insights everyone...as an FYI, I've been out about 30 years and have no interest in going back! I was just surprised that the emphasis that was put by my family member was "it's much easier now", not truth in teaching, etc.

Thanks to those who got the source of my screen name...Alvin Lee was the best!!

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

What has changed (in short) -

Doctrinal Changes

• All Annointed on Earth are no longer the Faithful & Discreet Slave
    • Only the Governing Body is the Faithful & Discreet Slave

Practice Changes

• Fewer weekly meetings
    • Monthly hour requirement for pioneers reduced
    • Stationary cart witnessing slowly replacing door-to-door preaching
    • Answering at meetings is to be limited to re-reading directly from the source material

Watchtower Changes

• The publishing of books and magazines has nearly ceased all together
    • JW website and JW Broadcasting replacing reading & studying
    • Personal study discouraged (The Governing Body will tell you what you need to know)
    • Real Estate scams funded by the rank and file are new revenue stream

What has Actually Changed

• Witnesses have less to do
    • Witnesses are no longer expected to competent to carry out a ministry or defend their faith
    • When asked questions Witnesses are instructed to refer people to the JW website

What Still Remains the Same

• Misogyny
    • Homophobia
    • Outright bloodlust for the death of non-believers
    • Shunning for non-conformity and asking questions
    • Protecting pedophiles
  • enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

stan livedeath

if i apply to be reinstated--will i have to give up atheism ? Its kinda easy that way. Like being one of Jehovah.s Unwitnesses.

belief in the governing body is more important than God. If the Bible says one thing and the GB another, you have to believe the GB. seems like you should be good to go!

• TonusOH
    TonusOH
    truth_b_known: Answering at meetings is to be limited to re-reading directly from the source material

Now that is a change. I can remember that we had an elder who always handled the weekly Watchtower article review. He would constantly encourage us to give answers in our own words and not just read from the paragraphs. He was a pretty well-connected person in Bethel, so we always got the impression that his attitude reflected the attitude of the GB in regards to that. And maybe it did, back then.

Even after so long not attending meetings, it feels weird to learn that they are doing that- asking the members to stop thinking and just read the words on the page. I guess what surprises me is how brazen it is. They either don't care if people realize how hard-line they have become, or they really do think that they're God's right-hand and the people will follow them right over a cliff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit