What is the Purpose of this Site - My personal opinion?

by jst2laws 112 Replies latest jw friends

• animal
    animal

We arent supposed to ask moderator questions in this thread. If we could, I would have asked:

Does your opinion play a role in the moderation, or is it overridden by the "rules", and eventually, Mission Statement?

But I wont ask it.

Animal

• animal
    animal
    Now that is focussed on JW issues, isn't it.

Sorta.... I wasnt allowed to wear jeans as a JW.... too worldly.

And, I knew you liked my ass since you SAT ON MY CHOPPER!

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    We arent supposed to ask moderator questions in this thread. If we could, I would have asked:

Does your opinion play a role in the moderation, or is it overridden by the "rules", and eventually, Mission Statement?

Since you didn't ask the question I wont give my answer that it's impossible for opinion not to play a part in the moderation. Moderating decisions are subjective and not objective. It's not possible to make them objective.

Expatbrit

• wednesday
    wednesday

I've been here since sept 02 . that isn't too long. but i have seen huge changes in moderation since then.

I'm not one to argue, I will follow the rules .But i enjoyed the board more before the heavy moderating.

It is such a fine line between provinding a safe place and a stifiling place.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

I have a question to ask a moderator.....

Does being cheeky mean I have a big butt????

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Scooby, I'm glad you dropped in on this. I have no animosity over what I called the "game". You inspired me to work on this.

Now THAT from Mouthy was scarier than any threat from a Moderator!!!! LOL Mouthy

LOL, I know what it is like to fear this lady. Take care and behave now. Chris,

able to come here and ask legitimate, honest questions, without fear (more than they already have) of being attacked as an "idiot" or "moron" or other more vulgar names. I remember how I felt, and I'm sure others have felt the same way when they first entertain the idea that the Society does not have a stranglehold on Biblical truth.

Excellent points. Minimus, We almost always agree, and what you say here IS in line with what I think is our purpose:

"If the purpose of a poster is to consistently (over a number of months), support the cause of Jehovah's Witnesses, their beliefs, their ideals and their views, then they are not posting here to "assist" a person "in facing the truth about the truth". This site clearly is not here for posters to encourage others to either remain or become Witnesses."

While this is all true, was anyone here swayed to go back to "the truth" by Youknow, SwordofJah, or even Scooby? In the process of DEPROGRAMMING ourselves I personally feel it is good to have this type on line with us. They do present JW related issues and as for as I'm concerned they do help us in the discovery process because they prompt us to look back at what we left and help change our doubt to convictions. (Now I"m not talking here about a JW coming online like I did looking for answers to my doubts. These are the ones we want to support) Personally I think we should be tolerant of everyone until they DISRUPT the purpose of the board. As Scooby said:

You should learn to rejoice in the diversity of thought that you speak so highly of since you quit the Witnesses.

Just my opinion, but if someone does not want to leave the WT after looking at the evidence from both sides, then maybe the WT is good for them. Steve

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Sns,

While it is true, there is an amount of rebellion one can feel after leaving the JWs and since it can be new terrritory, we might not be sure how to behave. But the fact of the matter is, just because we aren't JWs any more, doesn't mean we have to become people who have no conscience or care for other peoples feelings.

Rebellion, resentment for authority because of the abuse we suffered, you hit on target, SNS. If fact I like all of what you said. And I'm glad the board has helped you too. Animal,

We aren't supposed to ask moderator questions in this thread. If we could, I would have asked:

But I wont ask it.

Animal

, If we can keep this decent I will answer. There are NO RULES. Only the guidelines for posting. In fact there were NO GUIDELINES for a long time. It is my impression that they were the result of people posting hurtful stuff and then crying "Hey, what did I do wrong?" when they got "edited". As to your question "Does your opinion play a role" yes it does. This process is much more democratic than some think. As I stated previously on this thread all of what I have said here is my opinion. There is no evil dictatorship as some have imagined. Steve

• mouthy
    mouthy
    Now THAT from Mouthy was scarier than any threat from a Moderator!!!! LOL Mouthy

LOL, I know what it is like to fear this lady. Take care and behave now. Well I am glad you remember this you two!!!!!! Mouthy/Grace ( know what that means? Mouthy's Undeserved kindness)

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

The purpose of this site, I believe, depends on the individual. I came here by way of another board that I found from Dateline.

I was angry, very angry and feeling like a fool for buying into the Dub BS.

What I found her was friendship and a place to share and vent. My online and offline friendships have been wonderful and I cherish those. I remember my first few months of posting I was so into the board I didn't realize I had some dub issues still to work out but by posting again and again I was able to figure out where the pain was and to deal with it in a healthy way.

I have also found some that choose to use this site and others for their own agenda, whether it be to perpetrate an "online persona" or to abuse others so they feel better about themselves.

"The point being, moderate the moderation back a notch or two. The nice thing is that your job will be easier. Get rid of the list of rules, since you won't and can't and shouldn't enforce them evenly. Replace the rules with a statement about your vision for this place, and only use mods that demonstrate that they can effect a similar vision, Simon. I think Seven leads the way, even if just by her absence, lol. It doesn't mean you have to allow unlimited outright meanness and shit-stirring, but even exiting witnesses have VERY strong feelings about free speech, maybe even more so than the rest of the world in general.
    And moderaters, for god's sake, recuse yourself from any thread on which you express any opinion whatsoever. You just can't have it both ways. *smacks row of mods heads like a marx brothers movie*

About the moderation I think that Sixy basically has the right idea.

• minimus
    minimus

If a pro-JW poster wants to post here, let 'em. JUST DON"T CRY WHEN YOU GET A REBUTTAL. If we're gonna play, we might have to pay.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit