Haughtiness And The Witnesses

by shamus 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• 68storm
    68storm

I will give you my perspective on this, from a never have been a jw.

I have been among jws for over 30 years and to be honest with you, I never considered them to be haughty. They certainly have a way of hiding this from non members.

I heard this from an ex jw at a meeting @ Mouthy's place after my ex split. This totally blew me away! Being on the outside, I always thought that they were such oddball and freakish individuals, suffering from many ailments and illussions. Most of my family and friends felt the same way. I could never understand what my ex meant by always stating that "You have met a lot of witnesses" you should know better. Now I am starting to understand what she was getting at by that comment. It was totally foreign to me at the time. I kept on thinking to myself "Ya, I know many witnesses, and they appear to all be a bit phyco" (Always hearing demon stories, phoney experiences, being royaly ripped off by others, etc., etc.)

They always feel people are persecuting them, when 99% of the rest of the world hardly gives them a secong thought, except when they are knocking at their door.

• franklin J
    franklin J

I am guilty as charged, Shamus.

I was taught that I had the only true belief. To ditto what some other posts have already said; We had it--they did not. And in hindsight--I was arrogant about it--and I payed the price.

I like to think of myself as a better person these days--open minded and interested in other ways of life.

Frank

• shamus
    shamus

Me too Frank, me too.

68storm,

You are so right about witnesses. They are always oddballs, aren't they? Always strange... that's why we all had to leave... they were nauseating! How can you love someone who tells you that he cannot watch Star Trek because Deanna Troy makes him "excited". OMG, what a freak!

That is one of hundreds of weirdo's that I have personally met. They have a face for the "worldlies" like you were, and another face for the run of the mill witnesses.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Lately I have been thinking many JW's are like the "other brother" in the story of the prodigal son. Having slaved away for the Father for many years, they are resentful of the unwashed masses who blithely accept their Father's acceptance, with no apparent self-sacrifice required.

• Gerard
    Gerard

How far must a church body go in straying from the Word of God before one wakes up and realizes that it isn?t Christianity that the church practices, and it isn?t the God of the Bible they worship any more ?

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

"Scoffer" is the name of the proud, haughty man who acts with arrogant pride.

Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall .

They were haughty, and did abominable things before me; therefore I removed them, when I saw it.

To consider to yourself that you may move into and take over another person's home "soon", because you've been so righteous, and they're not.....

• Maverick
    Maverick

I think the duds come by this attitude honestly. The leadership set the tone. They are nothing like Jesus, (their supposed leader) and more like Judge Rumpot! The Governing Body act all loving and Christ-like to the public but if you've read CofC you see how they act in private!

Remember this is a business. It is run like a corporation with the same souless, cold detachment as any other large corporation. They print stuff and use religon as a tax dodge. And they feel they are the best printers on Earth! Maverick

• muleskinner
    muleskinner

I think all cults get a little haughty. I mean they all have the "inside" information right? Even in regards to buying things, "knowing" the world was going to end I always went with the longest terms, lowest payments. I felt a little guilty about it, knowing I would never pay it off and all. Ha. Seeing all those poor deluded people going to church only to be lied to and duped into actions Jehovah abhors. Ha and double Ha. Maybe we do reap what we sow, maybe the arrogance and self-righteousness is paid back in full. I am just really grateful that I stumbled across some of the old literature and was openminded enough to see it was the same horse manure I was being fed just different names and dates. Pyramids and measuring the steps to get dates??? Blind as I was, I could see that. Sadly, all those I tried to share this view with couldn't, hence I lost some family, one child and all my so-called friends. My favorite scripture in regard to this is Matthew 15:3-11. Having had a child write me a letter saying I shouldn't call or visit and that my association was destructive to faith, well, this set of verses said it pretty well. Not because of being a bad father or doing bad things but for trying to talk about the Society. Taken from the WT CD New World Translation: 3 In reply he said to them: "Why is it YOU also overstep the commandment of God because of YOUR tradition? 4 For example, God said, 'Honor your father and your mother'; and, 'Let him that reviles father or mother end up in death.' 5 But YOU say, 'Whoever says to his father or mother: "Whatever I have by which you might get benefit from me is a gift dedicated to God," 6 he must not honor his father at all.' And so YOU have made the word of God invalid because of YOUR tradition. 7 YOU hypocrites, Isaiah aptly prophesied about YOU, when he said, 8 'This people honors me with their lips, yet their heart is far removed from me. 9 It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach commands of men as doctrines.'" 10 With that he called the crowd near and said to them: "Listen and get the sense of it: 11 Not what enters into [his] mouth defiles a man; but it is what proceeds out of [his] mouth that defiles a man." Know-it-alls who know so little. I am deeply ashamed of ever having been fooled by them, they were a cancer I had inflicted on me by my family and that I in turn inflicted on my own children. It is still eating away at them and through them at me. I can honestly say I never shunned anyone. I am proud of that. I know I would never have shunned my parents or children. Muleskinner

• gumby
    gumby

Muleskinner,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...........and hello..... and welcome. Nice to have you.

Gumby

• Carmel
    Carmel

That's why I am attracted to the doctrin of "universal salvation".

caveman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit