Haughtiness And The Witnesses

by shamus 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• shamus
    shamus

I find that the Witnesses are very "haughty".

Haughty is described in the Oxford Dictionary as "proud of oneself and looking down on others"; how well this describes the WTBTS.

How many people were very proud of having "the troof"? How many people felt that they were special. How many people were proud to have this one and true religion? And how I and we all did look down on others! OMG, we used to just hate priests because of child molestation so called "coverups" in the Catholic Church. Yet, the witnesses were guilty of the exact same things, but on a worse level.

Remember going out in service and feeling sorry for people? Remember feeling like you were something special??? Pretty sick, really.

Is there not a scripture that deals with haughty people? How were the scribes and pharisees haughty? Any ideas?

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

Yes, the JWs are extremely haughty. I noticed undertones of thinking they are a bit better than everyone else.

To answer your question, there is a scripture about how God exaults the humble one, and humbles the exaulted one.

• Faraon
    Faraon

The problem is that they also think that they can trust one another, only to sometimes wind up with disastrous results.

I know of some husbands that would trust their wives to be alone with other "brothers".

I told my ex, I did not considered them "brothers" or "elders", etc. when it came to being alone with her.

• Enishi
    Enishi

What really irritated me is how I'd be out in service with an older brother/sister, and when the householder would say they weren't interested. Now, the brother/sister would act all nice at the door like they're supposed to, but then back on the way to the car they would get all haughty and say the householder either had scales over their eyes or would regret sticking to their religion when the GT came around. Generally, it was the "spiritual pillars" of the congregation who seemed to act this way the most. Sometimes I felt like slapping them upside their heads...

• patio34
    patio34

I think that's a major draw of all Christian (& Muslim) religions, being special (saved) and superior to others (the unbelievers, infidel, pagans, etc.). They're exclusive.

This doesn't seem to be too much the case with Eastern religions because they consider every single person (animals too?) to have divinity in them, so all are to be treated with respect. There isn't the exclusivity of Christian and Muslim. It's inclusive.

Pat

• metatron
    metatron

My favorite from Luke - that the Pharisees "considered the rest as nothing".

That's an excellent summary of Watchtower thinking towards the rest of humanity and all of its achievements.

99.9% of the human race doomed at Armageddon in Witness judgement leads to this arrogance.

metatron

• minimus
    minimus

JW's are haughty because they alone have the "truth"! They alone have unlocked the "sacred secrets" of Bible prophecy. They alone have God talk thru them They alone are a "special people". So.....They can't help it.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Shamus, I gather you don't have a copy of 'Comprehensive Concordance.' Ideal to have for research. The following words are listed, Haughtily, Haughtiness and Haughty. I'll just select one at random, Ps.101:5, "Anyone slandering his companion in secrecy, him I silence. Anyone of haughty eyes and of arroganr heart him I cannot endure."

The word that catches my fancy is 'Presumptuous.'

Guest 77

Guest 77

• mizpah
    mizpah

Jehovah's Witnesses aren't the only group afflicted with spiritual "haughtiness." Many small fundamentalist groups feel the same way. They will be caught away to be with Christ as others are destroyed. It comes with the same idea that one possess "the truth" that others do not have.

All of them would do well to pay heed to Christ's words: "For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted." (Mt. 23:12)

• Soledad
    Soledad

ditto what mizpah said

I work with hasidic jews.MOST of them are very very nice, but some are.....well......a-holes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit