Haughtiness And The Witnesses

by shamus 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• lastcall
    lastcall

I think the Society is extremely haughty, and many, but not most JWs are also.

What makes JWs unique (and contributes to their haughtiness) is that, unlike other religions, JWs think they have ALL the answers.

Most religions allow for the idea of leaving things in God's hands, not having to know God's will on every matter, and following conscience.

The society talks alot about conscience, but in reality they, in a way, demand that you use theirs.

If you have a question about anything from a to z, I mean anything,you are directed to research it ind the bound volumes of the Watchtower.

From the monumental (blood, what happens at death, disfellowshipping, doctrine, etc.) to the mundane( cell phone use, sports, how we dress, facial hair) they have the answer.

And where they say there is room for personal conscience, they actually word things so that you know exactly how you should view all matters almost to the letter. Conscience is really for rebels and those on the fringe.

And that is why they are so haughty..they have all the answers and they are God's channel .....yeah right.

LC

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Our Co said at a meeting (and multiple other times) that if the householder doesn't want to listen then we should say to ourselves, "Jehovah didn't want them anyway!".

• patio34
    patio34

Another irony of the JWs is that they consider themselves extraordinarily righteous, and yet it's about ridiculous things! Talk about a case of straining out the gnat but gulping down the camel...

For instance, they don't vote--in a democracy! And they think this is good!

They don't do any charitable activities. They let their family members die rather than take blood. They deprive their children of the many advantages that schools have to offer. They go door-to-door pestering people who don't want them there and they don't want to be there! They make their kids feel odd. Etc. Etc. and yet for all these oddities they feel righteous!

Holy moly--how were we EVER in that group??

Pat

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake

Heres a great scripture, "serious Bible students", and bragging about hours....poop on them!!

"You are searching the scriptures, because you think that by means of them you will have everlasting life......and yet you do not want to come to me that you may have life." John 5: 39-40

"How can you believe when you are accepting glory from one another and you are not seeking the glory that is from the only God?" John 5: 44

• Waymores Ghost
    Waymores Ghost

You bet they are, shamus.

That is all part of the indoctrination. Non JW, or "worldly" people are viewed as bad association. I agree with another responce that JW are just as hypocritical as the Scribes and Pharisees.

Wg

• Gopher
    Gopher

Like WG said -- non JW's are viewed as bad association. Except, of course, if a JW is witnessing to them and they are somewhat interested. However, once the interest wanes, then the person is a "goat" once again (or is in line to be judged as one during the great tribulation).

I feel the haughtiness of the JW's each time they shun me, and especially whenever my parents refuse to treat me like a human being.

Humility was talked about, but those JW's who were humble came by that trait naturally. They certainly didn't learn it through the example of the WT Society or its representatives (including most of the elders). We were taught that ONLY WE were God's co-workers, ONLY WE had his favor, while the rest of the world was a moral slimepit. How cynical.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

In retrospect, I do recall many examples of this behaviour; mind you condoned a la Kingdom Hall.

Faraon: yes, exactly, I was sooooooo foolish to trust some JWs, simply because they were JWs, thus, they could do no wrong. Heaven help me if I trusted a 'worldly' person. Good point Faraon.

In my early days, I remember the super JWs: the ones giving the talks, demonstations and 'on stage discussions' only talking to me, and a few select others, only to criticize. Never to say "Hi, how are you doing?" - nope, can't have that. Basically, it was to drop by, perpetuate, no doubt, their own nuerosis upon us 'newbies'.

Ugh!

I can remember a few incidents, and when I think back, of course, that is what that was.

Glad to be, well passed that.

• morty
    morty

I never felt special being a jw....Infact I felt, very embaressed to be saying I was one...Maybe my age I dunno, but was very pleased to get the hell out....I do agree with you in the fact though, that they think they are very special and a " almighty type" They act like they have the world by the tail, when in essence, the majority of them to me, look and act very unhappy...IMO.....It is not very offten that I hear a jw say " I love this world and my life" I actually feel sorrow for the them...and I feel more sorry for the children that dont have any choice in what they get to believe....

morty

• gumby
    gumby

I remember a circuit overseer saying in a talk one day the words..."Jehovahs people are the ONLY ONES who have true love for one another and they alone know what true love is".

I remember telling my wife I felt like asking him what he meant by that. I was thinking when he said those words, of all the people in the world who love their families, and children, and mates, every bit as much as a witness does. How could this man say such a thing?

I never did approach him but always wished I had. That's not only haughty......it's insane.

Gumby

• Sirona
    Sirona

Good point Gumby. They do say that you can recognise the true religion by the love they show, then they say that only JW's show the right sort of love to each other. What an insult to everyone else!

The thing that makes me so mad about JWs talking about Ex-JWs is that they say "That person who left the *truth* just didn't want to put the effort in to live up to Jehovah's standards. I, on the other hand, am willing to put the effort in because I'm not lazy and I love Jehovah" - they say it as though we are so weak and lazy that we don't want to try....when actually we're the strong ones for making a stand against a cult!

Sirona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit