Take a Moment and Think About How Awesome You Are

by Simon 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

It's easy to get bogged down with life and think you're not getting ahead or progressing. But regardless of where we think things may be going, pretty much everyone who's come through this site is an achiever who's done an amazing thing in one way or another even if they may not think about it.

So think about it!

You got past and over your programming and indoctrination. That isn't easy.

You had an open mind and were smart enough to see through the WTS lies. Again, not easy, especially if it was the only world you ever knew.

You have probably started a whole new life, maybe from scratch. That is an amazing accomplishment.

Not everyone can do this. Not everyone has. Many people spend their entire life trapped in the WTS but you haven't.

Give yourself a pat on the back and stand tall.

Remember this post next time you're feeling sad about the past and I hope it makes you feel a little better about the present and what else you might be able to achieve in the future.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Agree. I do find satisfaction in the fact that I was open-minded, honest, and smart enough to see and act on something that many of my peers are not. I admire my fellow members on this site for the same.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SIMON:

I think a lot of people on the forum are awesome because of what they went through with the JW religion...Not everybody is equally damaged.

Some JWs had a pretty happy life and left because of disagreement over teachings and were just sick of religion...Other JWs were devastated by the religion for one reason or another.

Even though I wasn’t born-in I think they have it the worst. I feel particularly sympathetic towards JWs leaving at an older age trying to step out into the world. ...When I “faded” I just picked up where I left off years earlier...A born-in is learning everything for the first time. So, it’s not easy for a lot of them but hopefully it gets better as time goes on.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

A person grows and matures when they accept the mistakes they may have made, even being indoctrinated into a delusion instigated by corrupt men and a religious publishing house they ran..

My advise would be to shrug it off, smile and live a clean wholesome life in honesty and integrity.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Well said Simon! My husband and I volunteered for a charity called INFORM based at the London School of Economics for a while after we left the JWs. It helped people learn about religious cults of all kinds.

The people who ran the charity said to us the amazing thing that you've acheived is that you left the JWs, leaving a cult is so hard.

They reacted as if we'd done something almost miraculous because they studied JWs, Moonies, Children of God etc and they knew the hold cults have. We should be proud of ourselves.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

Simon - you know I needed to hear that.

I still cant get over the 5 decades of lost life.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Yeah, you're spot on Simon.

I am, indeed, completely awesome.

I'm glad others recognise it - I thought it was just me.

• Simon
    Simon
    I am, indeed, completely awesome

"In a fear inspiring way, I am wonderfully made" LOL

• Giordano
    Giordano

I wasn't a born-in....... started at the age of 12...... got baptized at 16, met my wife at 18 and we left the JW world in our early 20's. It took me 2 years to think my way out. This was in the early 1960's. Very difficult to find the truth about the Truth. With everything that's available now........ it would have taken me two days to see through the entire JW construct. Ok two weeks.

I needed to tell my wife that I wanted out. I lined up my arguments and sat her down and told her I was not going to be a JW any longer. She stopped me. Then she told me a life time of truth in five words......"I never believed in it."

We exited the religion together and good things started almost immediately. We had a son born a little before they changed the draft and it was no longer possible for fathers to be drafted (Vietnam). Since I did not have my Minister's deferment this was a huge change for us. I was planing on going to jail or at the least being a conscientious objector.

The Society announced 1975 was going to be a big deal. It came and went. We were celebrating the new year 1976 when I started to laugh. I had totally forgotten about that big 1975 Whoop.

In 1987 I needed open heart surgery and there was a problem...... they needed blood to finish the surgery and pumped in five liters of blood. I was back to living my life within a couple of weeks.

Many more good things would happen over the next decades.

With our community volunteer work both my wife and I feel like we have made this world, especially our community........ a tiny bit better.

I also like what Simon had to say about making those changes and being proud of living your life as best as you can.

There are a lot of hero's on this forum.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Simon, I love your post.

We all do need to remember how hard and courageous it was to leave when we feel how stupid for staying in for so long, and of course, I am speaking to myself. I still beat myself up at times, especially when I am asked to tell my story.

Thank you Simon for the reminder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit