Please share your Xmas craft ideas with me

by Eyebrow2 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Sassy
    Sassy

ohh there are some good ideas in here!! I wish we had pictures...

I bought plain globe ornaments, all colors or whichever color you want, and use glue glitter (I buy it at Michael's) to write all the names of the family, one on each ornament.

My grandmother did that. She had an ornament with a glitter name for all the grandchildren. I used to go next door and just look at my name on her tree. Mom never asked her not to have our names there. In a way it was something really special all those years no one could take away. When Grandma died, I asked my dad what happened to her ornaments. I know he thought it was odd for me (a JW) asking.. he said they probably threw them away.. I was kind of sad. Deep inside I wanted it to save as a memory.

This year since I have no grandchildren and my children are grown, since the little girl in my life is SimpleSally's little girl, I want to make one with her name on it.. Then have Sally bring her over and see her name up there on my tree.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Thanks everyone for the great replies!

I am am saving and printing out this thread my family and I can try a few of the things.

I appreciate it!

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Here's one I did for my grandma this year...

It's really easy, only took me an hour to do both the throw and the matching pillow. The picture didn't turn out too clear, but it turned out really nice. It's two layers of fleece, so it's extremely warm and very soft. If you want to try it instructions are below:

Go to any fabric store (or even the fabric section of a Walmart) and choose two patterns of fleece for the front and back of the blanket. Buy 2 yards of each for the blanket (an extra half a yard for the pillow if you want to make one). If the fleece is a print like the one above just have it cut to the size of the picture with at least 4 extra inches on each side.

When you get the fleece you will find that two sides of it are "finished"... Just cut the finished part off. Put the two pieces of fleece together with each side facing out that you want to show (on most fleece the sides are the same and won't matter). Cut 4 or 5 inch squares out of each corner depending upon how long you want the fringe to be. Cut fringe into each side about 1 inch apart and either 4 or 5 inches long, whatever matches the squares you originally cut. Tie the fringe together and viola!

It's very easy to do, and pretty forgiving... the cutting and such doesn't have to be exact as long as the two pieces of fleece are cut together. No sewing involved, just cutting and tying (my type of craft, indeed). The pillow is made the same way just on a smaller scale and with 3 inch fringe instead of 4 or 5.

Have fun,

Jackie ;)

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

It was brought to my attention that I am posting big red x's... opps ;)

My first post on this thread is too old to edit, I think, so the picture of the garland I intended to post is below...

Sorry,

Jackie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit