Please share your Xmas craft ideas with me

by Eyebrow2 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Hello everyyone!

This the first Christmas that my husband and I actually have time to do stuff with our kids before Christmas. I hope to help them make some ornaments for our tree, and hopefully make a few to send up to their grandparents for their tree. Also, some cards.

Now, they each made a list of people that they would like to give a gift too, something a little more than a card. Since I want it to really be from them, I would like those old enough, the 4, 6 and 12 year old, to make the gifts. Do any of you have any suggestions?

I am looking for things to make that are inexpensive. I found some good ideas for the little ones at http://www.make-stuff.com for home made clay projects to make ornaments and beads for jewelery and a few other things. Here is my thing though: the 12 year old would really like to make something nice for his grandparents, dad and little sisters. He and I are having a hard time coming up with ideas.

Do you have any suggestions? What are you doing with your kids to give little gifts to others?

Also....any suggestions on how to make the holiday more meaningful...NOT in a religiuos way.

Thanks!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Also....any suggestions on how to make the holiday more meaningful...NOT in a religiuos way

I'm hard pressed for any "crafty" gift ideas, but maybe a few holiday suggestions.

• As a family watch "It's A Wonderful Life" and "Miracle on 34th Street" on T.V.
    • Check out neighborhoods that are going all out in decorating their houses (best viewed at night)
    • Check out your local newspaper to see what holiday events are going on. I live in the Los Angeles area. We go down to Newport Harbor to watch the boats parade with their Christmas Lights on.
    • Do you like Ice Skating. Even here in So. California there are a couple of outdoor ice rinks - even if you don't skate, it's fun to watch.
    • As a family, decorate the house and tree
    • This might be a little "religious", but its nice to go to where a choir is singing, traditional and contemporary songs

Hope this helps. Have fun.

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

Hi Eyebrow!

One year I had all 6 of my nieces and nephews at my house for the weekend. We had a myriad of ages represented and we went with a theme for making gifts. I bought some inexpensive frames and a big bag of flat wood cutouts (Micheals had these), some bags of cut buttons (Micheal's also-in the beading area) and some paints and glue.

We took some pictures of the kids in each of their family units and then all together as a group and I took the film in to make 5x7's- one for each of their parents and a group one for grandma and grandpa. Each child made frames using the wooden forms glued together and then painted and glued onto the frames along with the buttons. Some of the older kids even painted designs along with the forms onto the frames. Walmart had frames which were very inexpensive to use for this.

They also had one frame each to put something of their own in. Some put a picture they drew into the frame, one of them typed her poem into Word with some cool fonts and printed it out to put it in the frame.

They also decided to make some christmas ornaments with the wood shapes. They got pretty creative with the shapes they made by gluing them together and the paint they applied. We then attached a hoop of yarn on the back of them.

The kids were all working together on my dining room table which extends out to be pretty large and they all had a good time doing this.

Hope you have a wonderful time with your projects !!

XW

• Lady Lee
  • Scully
    Scully

We pick a special craft idea to make for teachers that are easy for the kids to make and inexpensive. Here are some ideas:

We collected some large pine cones in the park, cleaned them (spiders like to live in them!) then hot-glued them, stem side down, into small clay pots. When the glue is set, we spray painted them gold and let them dry. Then we hot-glued red beads on the pine cones "leaves" to make it look like a miniature Christmas tree. Finally we got a green and red plaid ribbon and tied it around the rim of the clay pot.

Purchase small styrofoam wreaths from craft supply store. Get various shapes of pasta (bow ties, fusili, rotini, elbow macaroni, shells) and have the kids glue the pasta to the wreath shape. Then when they are happy with their creation, allow it to dry completely, then spray paint it with gold, silver or green spray paint. When paint is dry, you can add some beads in various colours. Tie a nice ribbon on the wreath and it's done.

This year's project: Purchase a Christmas themed mug from craft store or dollar store. Purchase some red or green tissue paper, and some Christmas candy (Hershey's kisses, mints, candy canes). Loosely crumple the tissue paper into each mug, then place a mound of candies inside. Wrap with clear cellophane basket wrap and tie a bow to close the wrap.

Have fun! Love, Scully

• Sassy
    Sassy

This is my first Christmas too so I am not of much help. I did read in a magazine how a simple but pretty centerpiece is easy to make with just a few simple ornaments

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread for ideas!

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

One of the prettiest ornaments that you can make yourself is also one of the easiest to do. Buy some clear glass bulb ornaments. Take the top off and insert some tinsel and then push a line of this type of garland

into it so that it winds itself around a bit and the tinsel works through it. Put the top back on the ornament. With paint markers (make sure they will work on glass, most will) you can add a name, year, special message... whatever you want. They turn out really pretty, are relatively cheap, and all the supplies you need should be available at any craft store.

Also, just take a walk through a craft store anytime in November and December and they will have all types of Christmas projects set up and shown off, from easy to difficult... it's just a matter of choosing what you're up for. This one, however, is my favorite, the lights shine through these ornaments in a really pretty way, they look nice, and if you personalize them it makes it special for anyone you're giving it to.

Have fun,

Jackie

• ADubsFriend
  • little witch
    little witch

Take a wire coat hanger, and bend it into the shape of a circle (wreath).

Buy a three dollar bag of mixed hard candies (cellophane wrapped) and some florist wire.

Tie a short peice of wire onto each candy, really load them onto the wreath, and viola!

A candy wreath!

You can do this with diabetic (sugar free candies) too, or all one type of candy, like for someone who likes tootsie rolls, or pep'mint, or whatever.

Oh, and tie a pretty bow at the bottom!

Merry Christmas!

• xenawarrior
    xenawarrior

OMG LW- My grandma had one of those wreaths hanging at her house every year with a scissors hanging from it so you could cut a piece of candy off of it. Thanks for bringing back a nice memory for me !!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit