Where have the NWT Bible changed verses to fit their theology ?

by smiddy3 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Yes it requires bias to exclude Jesus from having YHWH quotations applied to him

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

Christianity should not be a book religion, especially to the point where it becomes important to whether this or that book is a part or not. Cant say I ever came across a book that I felt I missed out on, already so many. They are all avaible in case you miss them; the Maccabeans, Enoch or Esdras books etc

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

One example is how the NWT replaced “elders” with “older men” in the 1950 NWT, in verses such as James 5:14, because at that time JWs didn’t have “elders” in the congregation.

The “elder arrangement” saw the return of elders in the 1971, and the 2013 NWT caught up with this change by putting “elders” back into the text.

James 5:14

1929 ASV: Is any among you sick? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

“Elective elders” replaced by “service director” in 1932

1950–1984 NWT: Is there anyone sick among YOU? Let him call the older men of the congregation to [him], and let them pray over him, greasing [him] with oil in the name of Jehovah.

“Elder arrangement” introduced in 1971

2013 NWT: Is there anyone sick among you? Let him call the elders of the congregation to him, and let them pray over him, applying oil to him in the name of Jehovah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit