Were Bible writers flat earthers?

by ExBethelitenowPIMA 38 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

A few months ago it was the suggested presentation we all kept going over that verse saying see the Bible writers knew the shape of the Earth. I wonder how many JWs have a reply no they didn’t they said circle which is what flat earthers believe.

in the footnote the asterisk on the word circle says it could be translated sphere.

but did they have another word for sphere? We’re there any spheres back then? There are no perfect spheres in nature. Eggs, pearls even the nearest spherical objects are not spheres so did they have a word for it?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

You have not read my Post just before this have you ? Lazy Boy !

• jhine
    jhine

Nicolaou , well as has been pointed out things like Jesus walking on water were counted as miracles because people knew that scientifically this was impossible.

Jan from Tam

• jhine
    jhine

Bible writers talked about mountains and trees praising God . In Isaiah 55 mention is made of " trees clapping their hands " . Now no one can think that even then people believed that trees had hands or mountains had voices . Do those verses prove that they did think that ? No .

Jan from Tam.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Nicolaou , well as has been pointed out things like Jesus walking on water were counted as miracles because people knew that scientifically this was impossible.

If it's impossible Jan, why believe it happened? I used to be a believer too so I know the answer to my own question - faith.

Faith is the problem, it gives otherwise rational, sensible people permission to believe the absurd.

We owe it to ourselves and our children to slay this beast.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Even the most recent parts of “The Bible” were written over two thousand years ago.

Everybody was a flat-earther.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I can at least see where the WTS would say that "circle" referred to a spherical planet.

And burying their feces was certainly a smart and healthy practice, though there is no indication that it was done for hygienic purposes. This was in the context of soldiers in the field, and the reason given was that the camp had to be holy, because "God walks throughout your camp."

But DNA from the Psalmist talking about a cataloging of parts when he was in the womb? That's a real stretch.

I recall a video of Richard Dawkins's expression when a young Muslim girl explained to him that the Quran described the deep ocean currents, which was an indication that the Islamic holy book had the same scientific knowledge that some Christians ascribe to the Bible. If the text is vague enough, it can be reshaped endlessly to fit new discoveries, and always appears to be a step ahead of human knowledge and understanding.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

The empty space in the north is not the North Pole. They didn’t know that existed, nobody or very few in that area would have traveled beyond what is today the mountainous Balkan countries and Alps.

So yes, it is an empty space in the North, only once the Romans crossed those did you start hitting the Germanic and Eastern European tribes, then people started to understand there was a bit more space, but at the time of Job, the earth ended near European mountains.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

The verse in question says -

Job 26:7 he stretches out the northern sky over empty space, well should it be the southern that has empty space under it?

The North Pole has the earth under it?

The South Pole has empty space under it?

the northern sky does not have empty space under it, the earth is under it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit