Were Bible writers flat earthers?

by ExBethelitenowPIMA 38 Replies latest watchtower bible

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    jan - a lot of poetic license was used in the Bible.

I've often wondered about these folks that talk about the scientific accuracy of the Bible.

I don't recall there ever being any claim in the book/s about science.

I also feel that a lot of the O/T was in parable form. We just thought it wasn't. However, get 100 theologians in a room to discuss it and there will be disagreements. That's why I don't take notice of that noise.

Onward and upwards!

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

The Bible writers were not mathematicians by any means. I've always believed that the verse that refers to the earth as a circle (Is 40:22) just describes what they saw. Get in a boat and go out of sight of land and what do you see? It is a circle, seemingly flat, with nothing holding it up. They just wrote about what they could see

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    there is no absolute hard proof either way.

You make that same absurd claim about 20 or 30 times a week.

To paraphrase the great philosopher, Inigo Montoya, "I do not think that [phrase] means what you think it means".

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

You sound like you disagree

care to explain where and why?

• jhine
    jhine

Yes Punky , as you say theologians disagree. I think for what it's worth that the Bible, old and new , is about the relationship between God and man . I understand that some Jews see many layers to Torah. It's not meant to be principally a history or science book .

Jan from Tam.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

But where the Bible does comment on scientific issues Jan, don't you think the Author would get it right?

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

Nic do you think the author of the Bible gets it right or wrong on scientific matters?

can you give examples?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    can you give examples?

If you're up for a sensible discussion, sure.

How about the account where Peter and Jesus walk on water? The Archimedes principle proves that this could not have happened.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

Hang on nic, it’s ridiculous to argue miraculous things couldn’t happen because of science. Of course not that is why they are called miracles 🤣

we are not talking about if the miracles were possible of course they are impossible. Again that’s why they are miracles.

what we are talking about here from a scientific point of view is it true what the JWs say that Bible writers wrote about things that humans couldn’t have known about if not inspired by God.

the examples used by JWs is flat earth, DNA and bacteria

but all these points could be argued about

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Help me out here ExBethelite, I'm not sure where you're coming from.

Are you saying miracles happened or not? You post a childish laughing emoji in response to a foolproof scientific argument against a specific miracle (walking on water) but then in the next sentence you agree that they are impossible.

A little clarification please.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit