Were Bible writers flat earthers?

by ExBethelitenowPIMA 38 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

Job 26:7 he stretches out the northern sky over empty space, well should it be the southern that has empty space under it?

The North Pole has the earth under it?

The South Pole has empty space under it?

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

That same verse is often used by the Borg to show how the Bible says the circle of the Earth.

But at the time they did believe the earth was a circle, a flat circle.

if you stand on top of a mountain and turn around 360 you think it’s a circle, a flat circle.

The more I study the Bible the more I think it’s just another book written by men.

a good argument for any flat earthers is the distance between the cape of good hope and Cape Horn? It’s about 6000 nautical miles in a globe earth and about 4x that I flat earth model.

in actuality it’s is genuinely 6000 miles which is enough proof for me that the globe earth model is correct.

Bible writers never said anything about globe earth, I know the Borg tries to say the circle could be translated sphere but some disagree with that the word is circle.

The entire Bible is written from the point of view of what they knew at that time, nothing that could not of been written about by men ahead of their time

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Poetic license. We still say sunrise etc. when we know different. Same for other things.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Sadly, we can't ask them, so we won't know for sure. We can only guess.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

This is how they viewed the Cosmos, flat earth, with a tent like dome above, I think this view persisted in Israelite and Jewish thought for a long time, even into the first Century and Paul's time :

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

The idea of Raqia or firmament was apparently like a beaten, flat sheet, on which the stars, moon, sun were attached.

Even now, when you really think about it, its hard to believe the earth on which we stand is spinning at 1000 miles per hour and is orbiting the sun at about 67000 miles per hour.

Imagine trying to comprehend that if you were living in 3000BC.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Heck, there are people today who insist that the Earth must be flat, in the face of thousands of years of learning that demonstrate that it is a sphere. In the time before any of that work had been done, thinking the world was a flat plane wasn't such a crazy idea.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

The Borg use that verse in Job to show that the Bible must have been divine because nobody knew the earth was a sphere back then.

but they said circle not sphere and they thought there was nothing under the North Pole it was empty space according to Bible writers when in fact the earth in under the North Pole and it’s the South Pole that has empty space under it

• jhine
    jhine

I agree with road to nowhere , a lot of poetic license was used in the Bible. We present day folk tend to think of the ancients as ignorant goat herders. However archaeologists have found a lot of artefacts that prove otherwise.

Hubby and l watch a programme about strange items that have been found that puzzle historians. There is often speculation about the purpose of these items but for many it's usually the consensus that they are scientific in nature .

It does appear that even Bronze Age man knew a lot more than they are given credit for.

Jan from Tam.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

Well if you are a Believer in JW doctrine humans only been around for 6000 years. The flood was 4600 years ago and before that they lived for several hundred years. So if you believe that then they would have been very very advanced after say 700 years of experience on earth.

Im not sure what I believe anymore, JW could be correct in believing what the Bible says but plenty of people put up a good case that humans were on the earth longer than 6000yrs.

there is no absolute hard proof either way.

Just the same there is no absolute proof the Bible is not just another book written by men who believed the earth was a flat circle with nothing under the North Pole.

that is exactly what that verse in Job says the northern sky has empty space under it. Well this is fundamentally not true it’s the South Pole that has empty space underneath it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit